PDA

View Full Version : Guppies in a CA tank

Escobert
01-22-2012, 08:06 PM
My girlfriend really wants some guppies so, I was wondering how this would be in my 55 gal CA tank. It has a 4 1/2 inch Firemouth and a 4 inch EBJD also some Red eye Tetras and albino Corey cats. Was thinking maybe 3 males 9 females?
My filtration is a Top Fin 60 Power Filter and a Whisper 20 - 40

DoctorV
01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
I would consider them as snacks in there... How could they survive the FM and EBJD?

Escobert
01-23-2012, 09:41 AM
I agree that they could end up as snacks, I know their babies will and was somewhat banking on that. I figured however since both fish are only about 4-41/2 inches they'd have some times before a full grown guppy became a snack. The EBJD is also like the wimpiest fish I have ever owned. He get's bossed around by the FM ALL the time. Of course this is a little more aggressive FM then I've had before for some reason.

cjcichlid
01-23-2012, 09:53 AM
You can give it a try, but they will most likely become snacks as mentioned above. Maybe if you have a good amount of cover for them to hide they could survive and reproduce. If your wanting livebearers, try Swordtails...

DoctorV
01-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Swordtails are soooooo cute :(... It's like feeding puppies to lions... LOL - just kidding.

However, I do think that a 4-inch JD is able to gulp a guppy with ease. They have some mouth on them. Aren't guppies really small? I used to keep swordtails but I only observed guppies in the stores/videos. They always struck me as much smaller than swordtail/molly/etc...

You should give it a try - in all seriousness, guppies and swordtails aren't different from the "feeder" fish sold at the same LFSs, you just pay more.

Escobert
01-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Yeah that's what I was thinking, and my girlfriend wants something colorful that will swim around unlike my two cichlids who are it their spots most of the time. I have a bunch of fake plants atm and was looking into going planted.

DISCIPLE
01-25-2012, 10:39 AM
They wouldnt last 10 minutes.

DoctorV
01-25-2012, 10:42 AM
They wouldnt last 10 minutes.

I love your 'location' status haha....:mrgreen: I wished I moved there today...

Mattmean
01-27-2012, 08:12 AM
your plants and guppies will get whooped on. if you want nice colorfull fish that wont be eaten, maybe rainbow sharks will work, (purplish body, orange/red fins.) Maybe you can use some rainbow swords? not really sure. your fish aren't the biggest monsters of the SA/CA world. But it also doesnt mean they won't try to eat them. I have 2 rainbow sharks in my tank, they work fine to break up the mix. Once my Amphilophus hits like 7-8 inches they might become dinner though.

Regalblue
01-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Try some Buenos Aires Tetras. You'll want a big group so they pick one another off though.

cjcichlid
01-27-2012, 09:42 AM
I have 9x BA Tetras in my 135gal. Although they add a lot of movement to my tank and do make good dithers, they are somewhat a nuisance. They are definitely an aggressive Tetra as they are constantly chasing and beating up on each other. They are also food gluttons, and I sometimes have a hard time getting food to some of my cichlids. As soon as food hits the water they become an angry swarm of bees!

I've been thinking of trading them in for some Green Swordtails myself...

Regalblue
01-27-2012, 10:10 AM
See I need something fast myself, my pairs are Cubans, Turquoise Herichtys& Yellow Head Freddies
I can't see swordtails lasting too long

cjcichlid
01-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Yeah, BA Tetras would probably work well for you. They get pretty big as well, I have 2 that are every bit of 3in!