PDA

View Full Version : gone marbles

hvablast
02-23-2004, 09:31 AM
I've opted out of the traditional sand or gravel substrate and have dumped my marble collection into my tank instead. OK OK I know it doesn't resemble an authentic cichlid environment, but it's very colorful. Does anyone see any problems arising from this? My fishes don't seemed to be freaked out (yet).
Any comments?

cichgirl
02-23-2004, 10:57 AM
They will probably play with them eventually. What size and kind of cichlids do you keep? If they are relatively small >6", I wouldn't worry about it.

hvablast
02-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Right now I only have one. It's a 5" Red Zebra. He's been spending a little time pushing them out off his cave. Although I'm thinking about adopting him out to a better home, and getting a dozen or so assorted baby Africans and raising them together.

cichgirl
02-23-2004, 01:36 PM
My Americans like to pick things up and throw them, that's why I asked. Your tank (with either the Zebra or the babies) should be fine with marbles...

hvablast
02-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Pick em up and throw them? They sound like a lot of fun. Maybe I should switch to Americans. What kind do you have?

2petuniasmom
02-23-2004, 03:23 PM
I have marbles mixed in with my gravel. My largest OB zebra would keep herself occupied pushing them around until she started holding. Marbles should pose no problems to your fish. If you provide them with quality water, hiding places and proper nutrition, the rest is just asthetics.

There are those that think we should mimic the natural enviroment and that is fine for them, but my fish are thriving in their "off beat" tank. There is a post here on a leggo tank - really cool. Check out my post in the gallery to see my rainbow gravel with marbles and other un-natural decor. I think the fish actually show more color than in a natural decor tank. Put in what you want, and enjoy your fish!

cichgirl
02-23-2004, 03:58 PM
It's basically my biggest oscar that likes to pick things up and throw them. :D What he really does is go really fast and skim on his belly across the sand and scoop up whatever he can and lift, stop abruptly and spit whatever he grabbed out - I can't keep anything in the tank that he can move unless its soft. I like to imagine him entertaining himself with a lonely game of cherry toss. It looks like he's having fun. I just recently had to take out a few good size flat rocks (six inches across) from his tank because he made such a loud noise against the tank that I thought they must've broke the glass... I think if Africans were the size of Americans, they would do it too... All of my Americans like to push things around and rearrange the tank. Africans already do it too, just at a smaller scale. :)

hvablast
02-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Your Oscar sounds like a lot of fun to watch. My Red Zebra is a lot of fun too. He's real active. Swims around like a wild man. He'll eat pellets out of my fingers too. I've been trying to hang on to him as long as I can, but he won't share his tank. He kills everything I put in there with him. I think I'm gunna have to let him go. I've been looking at some real nice Jewels.

Oh and 2petuniasmom.... I saw your tank.... It looks great. :D You must have spent a lot of time building that.

2petuniasmom
02-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks hvablast! My daughters and I have done the decorating. They like busting the pots and then siliconing decorations on them :) Post some pics for us of your marbles:ok:

Julie