PDA

View Full Version : I want to grow green algea, but can't.

ddrreevviill
02-18-2004, 11:07 AM
I like the idea of having a nice carpet of green algea on the rocks in my tanks. The only one that grows algea is my 15 with my convict pair. It uses normal aquarium bulbs. My other tanks with flourecent lighting won't grow any.

What type of flourecent bulbs do I need?

I have 1 tank with 2 18" 15 watt daylight bulbs, and one with 1 20 watt 24" daylight bulbs. Is this enough or do I need more?

Will bulbs from Home Depot work? The aquarium bulbs are damn expensive.

Rex Karr
02-18-2004, 11:37 AM
I'm not going to advise you on how to grow algae, because I'm usually scraping it away rather than encouraging it, so thats where my experience is :)

But I wanted to ask you which fish are kept in your aquarium that doesn't grow algae? Many fish (other than Lorcarids) have an insatiable hunger for algae. Many African cichlids are naturally designed algae scrapers, as are some Central Americans cichlids and other non-cichlid fish.

One of my 125 gallon aquariums has had a divider down the middle for the last 4 months. On one side the algae grew thick and covered the rocks, on the other side there was no hint of algae. The side with out algae contained a Labeo variagates, the most efficient algae eating fish I've ever seen. I removed the divider a few days ago and within a few hours the tanks was completely spotless.

entombed
02-18-2004, 04:29 PM
If you want rocks with algae take them out of the tank and put them in a tub of water and stick it outside in the sun for a few days. Then when you have algae on them just put them back in the tank. Worked for me.

ddrreevviill
02-18-2004, 07:53 PM
I think that would be a good idea, but, Is there something that i can do in the mean time. It's -30 celcius right now so I will only end up with with a rock in an ice cube.
:rofl2:

entombed
02-18-2004, 08:05 PM
lol - well that ain't going to be any good....man thats a little chilly for me...you could make a large drink with the ice rock cube.....