PDA

View Full Version : pump size

Rudy
02-17-2004, 11:06 PM
I just ordered the following.

230 gallon 6 foot by 30 inch wide by 24 high aquarium.
2 overflow boxes in each corner with 1.5 inch bulkheads. Dual returns.

Sump will be a chambered 90 gallon.

What size of pump will I require. I was kind of thinking about 2 submersible pumps, one per return to lessen the elbows required for the return and as a fail safe.

What is a good brand, size and what should I expect to pay?

chc
02-18-2004, 08:33 AM
Good thinkng on the double pump returns. Even when I don't want to spend the money up front for two pumps I always plumb it so that I can easily add the second in the future.

If I were you, I'd consider using the return lines as drains also. You can always plumb a return line (ot two!) over the back of the tank. Most reef people are going that way now to maximize their flow potential, but it makes good sense in a fresh tank also. You definitely need to be able to drain more than you return, and such a setup would allow you to use bigger pumps.

The easiest way to go with the pumps would be to use a good submersible, but there are only a couple of brands that will give you enough flow. I use Mag-Drives or Pond Masters (same company) and like the results. I would not go smaller than the 1800 model if I were using two pumps..... probably one 2400 plus one 1800 depending on how complicated the return plumbing was (friction loss). It would seem you could get either of those for under $200. Expect to pay about $350--$375 for both.

The use of submersibles would allow you to go without drilling the sump, and you could always drop another one in there if you needed it. You could go with an Iwaki inline pump (they have a tremendous record of reliability), but they will be a little louder and definitely much more expensive.

Rudy
02-18-2004, 08:46 AM
would not go smaller than the 1800 model if I were using two pumps..... probably one 2400 plus one 1800 depending on how complicated the return plumbing was (friction loss). It would seem you could get either of those for under $200. Expect to pay about $350--$375 for both.

Wow! Really Chris? 4200 gph max flow ??

Could I maybe I could get a 2400 for now and then get another down the road.

Rudy
02-18-2004, 04:41 PM
By a miscalculation my tank just became 8 feet, by 30 inches. It seems there was a mix up by the shipping company and they sent the wrong size sheets.

I love miscalculations.

chc
02-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Nice miscalculation............ WOW! What a lucky guy!

As far as the flow goes, those rates are the potential of the pumps, but in actual practice you'll get much, much less. For instance, you'll have to oversize the return lines to at least 1 1/2" to maximize flow. Also, any turns in the return line or fittings will reduce the flow. Add to that the head height losses and you'll be down to a much lower flow. Based on "average" plumbing, you'll see more like half or two thirds the "rated" flow.

Sounds like you've got a 300 gallon tank now (thanks to the miscalculation!), so you'll need at least 1500 gallons of flow by most standards. But with big tanks, you need even more than usual flow to eliminate dead spots and to carry particulates up to the overflows. I'd aim for 2500-3000 gph total realized flow.

You could definitely start with the 2400 and see how things work. Add the 1800 later if you find you need it.