PDA

View Full Version : Green Terror confusion

xjblaine
02-17-2004, 05:27 PM
My green terrors are both exhibiting some syptoms which have me very confused. First, my tank setup:

135 Gallon with twin Emperor 280 bio wheels, planted, 3 giant danios, one rubber lipped pleco, and a 4 line pimelodus.

While I was gone over winter break, my fish began to trail whitish feces behind them while they swam. This did not interfere with any spawning activity (they spawned 2 times since the onset of these symptoms), but they have not been eating much, and they tend to hide more than usual. I was thinking malawi bloat, but the fish have had this condition for over a month, with no signs of abdominal bloating, and no apparant discomfort. I tried Maracyn, with no avail, and the fish have been through 2 Aquarisol treatments to help rid the tank of hydra. Suggestions???

Blaine

SGypsyMermaid
02-17-2004, 07:27 PM
"malawi bloat" or "bloat" is usually associated with cichlids from east african lakes(malawi, tanganyika, victoria, etc). green terrors are american cichlids. what you describe is often an indication of intestinal parasites. i would feed the fish an anti parasite food like jungle's pepso food.

crazyfishlady
02-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Sounds like heximita (sp). the white stringy stuff is intestinal lining. Search the web for heximita to read what you can about it & like SGM said, try the anti parasite food. Good luck!

xjblaine
02-25-2004, 11:53 PM
I was unable to find a medication with metronidazole at my usual lfs, so I used a treatment of clout...with no luck. I have since gone through the reccomended treatment with a medication that has met. as it's primary ingredient. 5 days, treat every other day, without carbon in the filter. On day 3, the fish looked fine, no more fecal trails....today, however, the trails were worse than ever, trailing 6-7" behind the male. what gives? did the hexamita parasites react to the med by multiplying heavily? and, since my poor pimelodus is looking really shabby (he didn't respond well at all, but I figured treat the whole tank to cut down on any infection), i'm going to setup a hospital tank and treat the terrors again in a few days if symptoms continue. My question: if I take out one of my emperor 280's and run it in the 10gal. hos. tank with no substrate, carbon, but still using the bio wheel, how critical will it be to strictly maintain water quality, specifically, can I go a full 7 days with the fish in the smaller tank?

sorry for the long post
thanks for the help

-Blaine

SGypsyMermaid
02-26-2004, 10:26 AM
anti parasite food gets the meds directly to the problem.

Rudy
02-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Sgypsie is right. Clout, or any other that is just added to the tank will not help a lot. You need an internal anti parasite med. Go to the LFs and ask for Discomed. It works great. You can try to soak pellets in a solution, but if the fish is not eating you may have to force feed the fish through a surringe.

I would also try to salt the aquarium with 1 tbsp of salt per 5 gallons and pump the heat up. This will make the parasites living envirnment less than comfortable.

SGypsyMermaid
02-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Rudy
but if the fish is not eating ...

i forgot about this possibility.:oops:

xjblaine
02-26-2004, 02:04 PM
update:

yeah, the terrors still arent' eating, but no more fecal trails today....

the rubber lipped pleco was twitching and gasping on the gravel in the big tank:( , I rushed him to my smaller planted tank and he seems to be doing better...we'll see. I'm going to do a HUGE water change today, like 50% or more with reverse osmosis water from the grocery store up the street (that's going to be alot of quarters). Man, these meds are harsh. I keep my aquarium salted, at half the salinity you reccomended, I'll bump the level a bit to help.

thanks again.

-Blaine

Rudy
02-26-2004, 02:09 PM
the rubber lipped pleco was twitching and gasping on the gravel in the big tank , I rushed him to my smaller planted tank and he seems to be doing better...we'll see. I'm going to do a HUGE water change today, like 50% or more with reverse osmosis water from the grocery store up the street (that's going to be alot of quarters). Man, these meds are harsh. I keep my aquarium salted, at half the salinity you reccomended, I'll bump the level a bit to help.

Don't do the water change with bottle water Blaine!!

It will change the water condiitons so drastically it could worsen the problem or stress your fish out the point of dying. Just use treated tap water.

SGypsyMermaid
02-26-2004, 02:35 PM
i agree with rudy.

Rudy
02-26-2004, 02:37 PM
i agree with rudy.

What??? Theres a first:dance:

SGypsyMermaid
02-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Rudy
What??? Theres a first:dance:

and probably a last!:twisted: :edance: :twisted:

xjblaine
02-26-2004, 03:41 PM
allright, but I should let you know that we have the absolute worst tap water in the history of the world here in tempe....I'll treat it and do the change with that....edt: I should elaborate on that one...the water smells and tastes of dirt, chlorine, and rotton eggs.....

Rudy
02-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Use whatever water your fish have in there tank right now. It is the change that hurts them.

xjblaine
02-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Well, I use a mix of water....so I changed with a mix of water 60 gal tap and 20gal bottled, boy was that some work. All the fish look ALOT better now that the chemical levels are lower, although I don't know if I'm through the worst of it yet with the cichlids. My rubber lipped pleco died...too much stress from the meds I suppose.

xjblaine
02-28-2004, 05:25 PM
"You can try to soak pellets in a solution, but if the fish is not eating you may have to force feed the fish through a surringe. "

and what is the best way to accomplish this??? I'm really getting sick of my fish being sick, and I think they're sick of me treating them...they just have that look. Halfway through the second treatment with metrodinazole...and still no eating, still trailing mucous like feces. I'm ready for drastic action.

Rudy
02-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Go to a drug store and get a surringe (without the needle) mush up a solution of the internal parasite med. Pick the fish up in a net an forcefeed it that way. It is not pretty, but should work.

xjblaine
02-29-2004, 01:38 AM
you're right, it aint pretty.....I think they actually swallowed some of the medicated food. AND, 3 hours later, they're still alive, which I find amazing. I found a good link on a discus site that explaned the whole procedure. I really hope this works.

jennigypsy
03-08-2004, 10:02 PM
...any updates here?

xjblaine
03-08-2004, 10:16 PM
I posted another thread on this one. Both are still in the hospital tank, but I'm moving them back to the main tank this friday, as I'm headed out of town for a few days. They're getting much more antsy about being removed from the tank to get fed. They're also not yet eating on their own :mad: , but I hope they get the idea soon. They are also still trailing mucus, and it's longer than before, I hope this is a reaction to the med food.

xjblaine
03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
10 days later: still trailing mucus, although it is much smaller and less noticable now. I am thinking of going back on the force feeding regimin. any other ideas?

Rudy
03-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Brutal!! I can't beleive he is still hanging on. Good thing anyway.

Try to pump your temp up to 87' and add 1tbsp of salt and give the tank a serious salt bath. Also continue using the internal parasite med. Make that envirnoment as tough as humaly possible for a parasite to live in.

Also too make sure you add an airstone, or some other thing to increase the oxgenation. With the high heat it will help your fish bare through it.

Good luck,.

xjblaine
03-27-2004, 12:36 PM
I can't believe it either, I'll be adding more salt today, and I have done the force feeding for 4 days now, once every other day. These fish refuse to quit, they are both pretty active still, but the male hides if you come close to the aquarium. Yesterday, he started making a spitting motion and I noticed mucus like stuff inside his mouth. And although they're both more active than they were, I'm not happy about this at all. I'll let you guys know what happens....

wudman
03-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Try some Jungle Labs Pepso Food. The food is in very tiny particles and it saved my fish that wouldnt eat at all.

xjblaine
04-01-2004, 02:11 PM
i've looked around for jungle's food, but can't find it. I am mixing a hell of alot of medicine into the food now, been increasing the dosage slowly since I began force feeding in early march. This sucks. I really wish my fish would get with the program and start eating on their own. Oh yeah, got the temp to about 85, it's easy in phoenix, just turn off the AC :cool: , and have added the reccomended salt.

edit: been re-reading the other posts, any ideas on how come my fish have hung on sooooo long? I think this whole episode started back in early january over winter break. eveyone else seems to lose fish after a few days.

Chris Garrett
04-02-2004, 05:53 AM
LONG thread here guys...I'm getting that the only treatment to the water your doing is adding salt?I'd go with an antibiotic tablet to treat the water.Hard to make them eat medicine but not to swim in it.On the fish don't eat on their own,well if I was forced fed I would be a little stressed out and not eat too.Are they moving around okay?Acting stressed?If the fish are real thin I would worry if not ,give them time.Work on the water.Good luck.

xjblaine
04-02-2004, 09:37 AM
I've treated the entire tank with metro (10 days), and the hospital tank that they were in with metro as well (7days), I discontinued treatment at the suggestions of other members. I've been force feeding medicated food since early march. Their behavior is starting to return to normal, but the male is very thin. If they would just start eating food on their own, I'd be fine.

crazyfishlady
04-02-2004, 12:38 PM
If you want to try the pepso food from Jungle go to drsfostersmith.com. It's very inexpensive. I have an angelfish that was exhibiting symptoms similar to your GT, although not as advanced. I used the parasite clear tabs that look like big alkaseltzer tablets, first. The I fed the pepso food for the recommended 3 days. The external medication, while not AS effective as the internal med, seemed to give the fish the little boost he needed to be able to eat. Has been eating since this treatment.
Good luck!

wudman
04-03-2004, 02:00 AM
The Jungle Labs Parasite Clear and Pepso Food worked miracles for my fish that would not eat... I ordered it from http://www.drsfostersmith.com and it was very cheap.. The shipping was more than the meds, so I ordered a few extra items.
It took about 6 days for my fish to start back eating after I started the treatments.

Chris Garrett
04-05-2004, 06:57 AM
I know this will get a rise out of most/all sane people but you could try getting a cheap fish you wouldn't mind keeping or loosing that is healthy and eating good.It's possible that a new fish and one that's eating good will get yours to come around.I know ,I know, not something to do but when your desperate you know?

xjblaine
04-05-2004, 09:39 AM
well, my 3 giant danios and my pimelodus catfish are eating fine....so go figure.

Chris Garrett
04-06-2004, 05:44 AM
I'm sorry I thought you had your fish seperated from the others.I'm out of ideas.Good luck,Chris

xjblaine
04-09-2004, 01:11 PM
well, Ive decided to discontinue the force feeding regimin: I think I just killed my female:( . It's been three months since the symptoms first appeared, and the fish have slowly been wasting away. I cannot remember the last time they ate food on their own. This sucks...

SGypsyMermaid
04-09-2004, 04:20 PM
sorry to hear it. keep your chin up, kiddo...sometimes nothing works.

xjblaine
04-09-2004, 06:21 PM
no word from the gf yet, but I'm pretty sure I squished my female with the net....and she was the one showing signs of recovery too. D'OH! Oh well.

edit: spoke to her and to my roommate this evening, the female is fine....boy are these fish tough.

wudman
04-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Get those fish some Pepso Food... It really works...

Check out my post - http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5429

xjblaine
04-10-2004, 07:53 PM
the fish stores near me do not carry it, but I'll look into it. my female is fine, guess I just stressed her out. wudman, how long were your fish showing symptoms before they recovered? I think it might be that my fish have been ill for far too long to recover. we'll see....

wudman
04-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Im not sure how long he was sick before I noticed that he was not eating.. It was at least a month after I noticed until I treated him with the pepso food. I had to order my pepso food online.

Chris Garrett
04-12-2004, 01:16 AM
Come on.I know any decent pet store carries Jungle products.I'd ask them to add a bottle or two to their next shipment.No shipping cost for you.If they don't carry Pepso already, they should.Ask what medicated food they do carry.It may be okay.I compliment you on letting nature take over.Thumbs up!

xjblaine
04-12-2004, 04:20 PM
I tried a few close to me = less than 15 miles from where I live. By far the best one, and the one I'm going to from now on did carry jungle products, but did not carry pepso food (I dont' know why). I think it was probably two months since the infestation began until I gave them treatment ( I was gone for a month, and fish are asymptomatic anyway, so I'm guessing here). The whole thing just stresses me and the fish. If they don't get over it, I did what I could. I decided to give em some time to figure it out, we'll see what happens. Thanks to all of you for your help, I'll let you know what happens.

Edit:
live brine shrimp will make any fish eat.....

xjblaine
04-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Live brine shrimp, that's all I have to say. Now, we'll see if I can bring em back now that they're eating again.:party: :dance: :D

Solace
04-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Congrats on your fish eating again. I hope they pull through for you.

Would like to relate a bad experience I JUST had last week. I am thinking it was the pepso food. I know the product works I have used it with great success.

I had a pair of gold Rams spawn in a quarantine tank I have going. I removed the other fish from the 'quarantine' turned nursery tank all except a few corys I had just purchased. I decided to give the corys some pepso food, the rams and fry got a share of it too. I also tossed a bit of the pepso over into my multi tank 'for the heck of it'. The next day I noticed my ram fry started dropping like flies. I have lost 3/4 of the spawn. Had no clue what had happened till I looked in my Multi tank to see my Multi fry dropping too. I lost over half of my Multi fry as well. The ONLY thing in common between the two tanks was the pepso food so I can only assume this was the culprit.

Not saying 100% this pepso food was the problem just saying use it with caution when dealing with fry.

Again good luck on your fish eating again. I hope they make a full recovery.