PDA

View Full Version : Anybody do water changes with a powerhead

Rudy
11-12-2002, 08:38 PM
I just picked up an 802? aquaclear. I was told it would fit on my python, but of course it is to large for the tubing to fit. Any tips would be helpful as my baby is teething and water changes have to be cut in half as far as time. I have also heard you can fill faster as well.

NM was the master at this stuff. If he pops by I was hoping for some suggestions

I have a drain about 20 feet from my tank I drain right into.

SGypsyMermaid
11-12-2002, 08:46 PM
send him a pm and tell him he's overdue for a visit. :wink:

Chet
11-14-2002, 05:43 PM
You should be able to buy a reducer at the hardware store that will allow you to use the powerhead with the python. I'm not sure how a powerhead would speed your refill significantly, as that should be governed largely by your available water pressure. I guess it's worth a try though. I know the guy at cichlidscene uses a powerhead with a python, maybe you should email him for some first hand experience and advice.

SGypsyMermaid
11-14-2002, 08:22 PM
chet--it won't speed refilling--but it does speed draining.

Chet
11-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I got the draining part, but Rudy made a comment about refilling, and I was just wondering if I was missing something. Tell us how it works out Rudy.

Rudy
11-18-2002, 11:40 AM
I wish I knew. I just read on the box it does this?

SGypsyMermaid
11-18-2002, 01:05 PM
[quote:e3f213e5ac="Chet"]Yeah, I got the draining part, but Rudy made a comment about refilling, and I was just wondering if I was missing something. Tell us how it works out Rudy.[/quote:e3f213e5ac]

nope--i was the one who missed something. :oops:

finz
11-26-2002, 11:08 AM
I once made a gravel cleaner by tying a media bag over the outlet of a power head and attaching a length of rigid tubing to the inlet. It worked but not great. It's not too bad for picking up larger pieces of uneaten food or cleaning up exess algae on the gravel. I'm sure the idea could be improved upon.

Boilermaker
11-26-2002, 01:31 PM
Rudy, Let me know what you find out .Ever since we replaced the watermain they told us by building codes we had to have a pressure regulator, and now I have barely enough pressure to even get the python started.
Also where would you want the powerhead in between the vac. and sink?
or right on the end and drain it into the yard or drain?