PDA

View Full Version : canister and fluval differences?

the209jungalist
02-13-2004, 04:06 AM
I'm thinking of adding a external filter to my tank. What are the differences between a fluval and a canister? I do not understand the differences aren't they both layered? Opinions on which I should use for my 55?

Thank you in advance for any help.:wink:

tom
02-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Fuval is the brand name of a canister filter made by Hagen.

Are you asking what the differences are between a HOB ("Hang-On-Back") power filter and a canister filter?

the209jungalist
02-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks Tom, it never occured to me that Fluval is just the brand name. Duh!
Which canister would you reccomend for my 55? (you can see my tank in my sig) I also use a sand substate, I just don't know if one brand is better than others or if particular brands have advantages over others.
I've heard good of the Magnums but i've been eyeballing the Fluvals.

Aren't HOB power filters like aquaclears and emperors?
I thought any other type of HOB filter that would be larger would be for like a marine set-up.

Sorry I should know this stuff but I apparently don't, thank you for your help.:(

dmiles7
02-13-2004, 05:24 PM
209...I just set up a 55 also...got a ton of help from people on this board

I went with a Fluval 404 as my primary filter...i like it and I think it is easy to maintain...I would like to put another in the tank but don't have the money right now....so I added the penguin 660R powerhead with a sponge on it....that is just my opinion and I am sure you will get others...good luck

Question for others...the 660 that I added...is that OK for now, as a backup, until I can get another fluval

Thanks

Dave

tom
02-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Which canister would you reccomend for my 55?

Aren't HOB power filters like aquaclears and emperors?
I thought any other type of HOB filter that would be larger would be for like a marine set-up.

I can't say much at all about Fluval (other than it's a brand name) because I've never used one. I do use Eheim canisters, though, and they've not let me down. If I were to set up a 55 now with your bioload , I'd opt for Eheim--at least a 2217. They're simple in design ( a plus in my book) but simply built well: I can go months (light bioload) without cleaning with virtually zero drop in flowrate. There are Fluvalists here, though, and you might want to read their recommendations.

Aquaclears and Emperors are probably the most widely used power filters (if this board's users are representative). I wouldn't discount power filters altogether; in fact, on one 80-gallon Tropheus tank, I've been running two Aquaclear 500s for over six months (which usually gets a HUH? from folks), and the colony is thriving. Many here prefer the Emperors, though; do a search for reviews here on those if you decide to go that route.

dmiles7
02-13-2004, 06:18 PM
Tom...is the 2213 the same design as the 2217 and how much do they run...any idea what a good price would be

tom
02-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi Dave

Design's the same on the 22xx models. My most recent purchase of an Eheim was maybe 6 months ago; I paid $130 (plus change for shipping) for the 2217. I'd imagine anything under $80 (base) would be a good price for the 2213.

merlyn2221
02-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Go to BigAlsOnline.com

I'd go with a Fluval 404 (even though mine leaked 30+ gallons of water on my living room floor during Christmas Eve night into Christmas morning).

Hagen is a great company who stands behind their products.

the209jungalist
02-15-2004, 02:35 AM
Thank you for the advice it's been quite helpful.:)