PDA

View Full Version : Another sand question

dragonetti
02-12-2004, 03:28 AM
I have never used sand before. Has anyone here used, or using Eco-Complete Cichlid Substrate? It comes in 20lb bag of sand or 20lb bag of gravel. I'm going to go with the sand. How do I know how many bags to buy? Pound to gal ratio like gravel? Just got a 75gal with Emperor 400 and my old 280.

dragonetti
02-12-2004, 04:43 AM
Another thing, is a 260 watt (4x 65 watt bulbs) power compact fixture too much light? Some of the people's tanks don't look like they have much lighting. Maybe I'm just used to growing plants in my tank, used too a lot of light. Oh I have a 55gal planted discus tank. It's been awhile sence I had cichlids.

jennigypsy
02-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Is that the sand that claims to have the live bacteria already in the sand/bag?

dmiles7
02-12-2004, 08:45 AM
That is the sand that I used....3 bags is what I used for a 55 gallon....YES it is the sand that claims to have the bacteria already in it....so far I am happy with it

jennigypsy
02-12-2004, 09:01 AM
GREAT!...is it like a salt & pepper look? I saw that at the LFS & thought it was really great looking.

dragonetti
02-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Dmiles, with 3 bags in your 55gal, about how deep is the sand, if it was level all the way across? I know it is not level, but just a guestamation? And anyone have an idea about the lighting Question?

jonah
02-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by dragonetti
Another thing, is a 260 watt (4x 65 watt bulbs) power compact fixture too much light? Some of the people's tanks don't look like they have much lighting. Maybe I'm just used to growing plants in my tank, used too a lot of light. Oh I have a 55gal planted discus tank. It's been awhile sence I had cichlids.

If you don't have a lot of plants in the tank, I can just about guarantee a ton of algae.

Technically, discus are cichlids.

the209jungalist
02-13-2004, 03:58 AM
I have tahitian moon sand in my 55 and I used 80lbs in it. I have it rolling well actually my fish have made it that way, but spread out all evenly it's 2" above the black plastic piece that goes around the bottom of my tank.

didjyman
02-17-2004, 05:10 PM
I use the eco complete it is great at buffering and looks great too. I have used both and am partial to the sand over the gravel. Also I would agree with Jonah, excess lighting does nothing positive to a cichlid tank IMO. Excess algae growth and washed out looking fish is what you have to look forward to.

K_Labs
08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by didjyman
Also I would agree with Jonah, excess lighting does nothing positive to a cichlid tank IMO. Excess algae growth and washed out looking fish is what you have to look forward to.

Hi this is my first post and i was wondering what does IMO mean. Also what is washed out looking fish? Bad or fading coloration? I have 1 community tank and they all look very pale. They didn't look like that at first but now its really bad it is my light?

malawi,sc
08-20-2007, 01:22 PM
imo in my opinion

washed out, you nailed,, and the bad news is ANYTHING can cause.. 1st test would be amonia, then ph, then temp.. it could be lighting but i've never seen that one. it could be food.. any problem with a tank, you get washed out color and loss of appitite. and fyi

for your information,, the new reply box gives you a new post and a chance to give it a title.. nbd.. no big deal.. and welcome to the forum, now i am no longer the new guy..

K_Labs
08-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Ha ha nice. Chemical tests eh... I will get right on it. I probably just need a partial water change. It's been a little while. It was my favorite tank up until I purchased a bigger one and filled it with demasoni. So if I were to change to this cichlid sand would I have to do less water changes? Also what do you vets. prefer when doing water changes? Using sink water and treating it or buying it from the store and just adding treated water?

K_Labs
08-22-2007, 01:08 PM
I did a water change and added some chemicals and all of my fish have returned to normal color... But one of them is still peach/yellow looking he is supposed to be blue. I don't get it... Is he chosing to lose his color because he is getting punked?

fishyfactoids
08-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by malawi,sc

washed out, you nailed,, and the bad news is ANYTHING can cause.. 1st test would be amonia, then ph, then temp.. it could be lighting but i've never seen that one.

Actually, I just read something in TFH about how having no lights or too dark of lights causes your fish to lose color. Basically it has to do with the fact that if they feel like they are forever going to be in the dark, they don't need to keep their color up as it serves no more purpose. I mean, there are other reasons, but that's the most understandable (and the only one I remember right now:rolleyes: ).

K_Labs
08-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I already have a tank up and running and it's already gone through the break in period. I just learned about this sand and I would like to change to sand. What kind of problems are likely to occur if any? Or is it possible that I can just fish out the gravel and put sand in with no troubles?

fishyfactoids
08-23-2007, 04:07 PM
There's really no point to change your sand. If it's been in there for a good period of time, it's technically become 'live sand', meaning it has beneficial bacteria.

K_Labs
08-23-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't have sand I have gravel BUT... I like to bury slate in my gavel and make caves for the fish. I assume that with sand this will not be possible.

fishyfactoids
08-23-2007, 05:13 PM
In terms of burying slate/decor, both gravel and sand work equally (in my opinion). My only concern is that if you completely replace the gravel with the sand, and there's a problem with the sand (bacteria die, etc.) then you end up with no biological filtration in your gravel, which could kill your fish. If you're really intent on changing the gravel to sand, do it slowly (replace a little bit every day).