PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!Scratching,rapid gill breathing

the209jungalist
02-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Can I use Pond Parasite Guard (jungle) in my tank? I used to use Parasite Care (jungle) in my tank and it worked very well.
I have had a fish scratching and noticable yawning problem for a while and cannot seem to get rid of it. Also I am now thinking my GT is pumping his gills too fast and they are slightly flared. Gill flukes? I am getting frustrated. I have been using pond stuff in my tank to treat the water because it is the identical chemistry to aquarium stuff but cheaper as it is higher concentrated. (ex. 1tsp to 15 gal.

Anyways, my fish have all the symptoms that this Parasite Guard treats to a tee, but it says Ornamental Pond Fish Only. I cannot find any other medication that works, I would use the rest of my Parasite Care but it's like 6-7 years old and there is not enough left to treat my tank.

These 2 meds are similar, my old parasite care bottle says formely parasite guard, but I just bought the new stuff yesterday and they are discontinuing it now. (maybe just changing the name again?) The only difference is now it's a pond item.

New Parasite Guard active ingredients: sodium chloride, trichlorfon, diflubenzuron

Old Parasite Care active ingredients:100% sodium cloride, dimethyl (2.2.2-trichloro-1-hydroxyethyl) phosphonate, carmoisine B.A.

One concern I have that is probably a dumb question but.... my old bottle says use half strength on silver dollars, discus, piranhas or other members of characade family, this new stuff doesn't say that. I don't think I have any characades, these are catfish correct? As in scaleless? What about my plecos are they scaleless characades?
Would this apply to any of my fish, even though it does not have that same warning on my new stuff, i'm wondering if that's because it's a pond item and you wouldn't have characades in a pond?

Please Help my fish and me!

cichgirl
02-10-2004, 08:08 AM
I would definately do frequent, partial water changes & add 1tbsp salt per 5 gallons. The salt will naturally help their gills absorb oxygen. Do not raise your temperature.... Also you may want to get a copper or formalin based med. I haven't used any copper based meds with a pleco, so I don't know the effects on it - hopefully someone here has. It sounds to me like parasites or a bacterial infection in their gills - the yawning is them trying to clear their gills. What are your water parameters? Are you able to look under the gill plate on any of the fish affected? The gills should be cherry red-- any brownness or hamburger-type texture is infected. I am not sure about pond meds - I've never used them so I can't comment on that... I hope this helps a bit.

usafschue
02-10-2004, 09:44 AM
My book (pop guide to cichs) sayeth to carry out a 80% water change, use dechlorinator, turn off your filter for 6 hrs, aerate, and use 3% salt bath or anti-parasite remedy

the209jungalist
02-11-2004, 01:24 AM
I keep salt in my tank regularly, I bumped up my temp before it seemed to help clear my tank but now it's about 78F. I've used coppersafe and rid+ich, nothing has changed. I've been doing massive water changes it hasn't helped either. I did have a thermometer break in my tank a few months ago and I have been having a hard time getting my water clear again, it did clear up for a week then clouded again. So seriously -major water changes.

My poor GT has a swelled gill on his left gill kind of protruding like and he's breathing fast.
The other day I caught one of my oscars only using one gill but I think he may have eaten my pictus cat and tried to spit it out and got poked in his gill cause he's fine now.

I noticed little black spots on my albinos chin area I've been thinking it was sand stuck now i'm wonderering if it was a parasite cause I don't see the black however I do see a little hole.

I'm trying to hold off on the Parasite Guard to see if I can get more info, but I really think I should just use it and get this GT, and scratching problem done with.

cichgirl
02-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Have you tried polyfilter for the cloudiness? It might help clear it up.
Hopefully one of these links might help you:

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/gill%20disease.htm

or, go here & click on "other"

http://groups.msn.com/AngieAndAndrewsAquatics/freshwaterfishdiseases.msnw

Good luck!

the209jungalist
02-14-2004, 02:10 AM
Thank you for the websites, quite helpful.

the209jungalist
02-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Okay... Everyone cross your fingers for me I just changed my water and I added the Parasite Guard and i'm going to bed. I'm going to bed and not watching my fish tank because i'm going to be very extremely upset if I start seeing any of my fish die.
This stuff smells like pesticides that Clark would use to spray under your house, so I hope it works just like that kills the parasites it's supposed to and not any of my pets.

the209jungalist
02-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Well GT died the other day, a very sad death he was attacked by my tilapia. :bawl:
I wrote the story in the lounge, so you guys can read about it and read his little eulogy too.
:(