PDA

View Full Version : Penguin 303 filter media question

DevilDude
02-09-2004, 09:06 PM
I just set up my new 50 gallon tank with a pair of pro-life 600 power heads for an undergravel system and a penguin 303 for a backfilter, but upon installing the penguin 303 i realized that it had two removable baskets behind the filter cartridges, i looked at the instruction book and it said "place desired filter media in baskets", no recomendations not even an explanation of what it meant. maybe this is a stupid question but what is supposed to go in those baskets? is it even neccesary to put anything in them at all?

Thanks in advance i look forward to your replies

jonah
02-09-2004, 09:27 PM
You don't have to put anything into them, but you can use them for filter floss, extra carbon, crushed coral to raise pH, or anything else you can think of for filtering or treating the water.

the209jungalist
02-10-2004, 01:55 AM
Floss!!!!:ok:

DevilDude
02-10-2004, 12:27 PM
ok and exactly what is filter floss and what does it do? any brands that i should look/watch out for?

jonah
02-10-2004, 04:22 PM
I use hypo allergenic batting that I buy at Walmart in the crafts section. It looks like the stuff they make into pillows. Make sure it's hypo allergenic so you'll know there's no harmful chemicals. It will strain out particles from your water.