PDA

View Full Version : N. Brichardi

DanL
02-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Question about N. Brichardi "albino"

When, at what size, do these fish begin pairing off?

I bought 3 of these fish about 2 months ago and they were all approx 1". Since then, one of them keeps getting beat up. They are now around 1.25" to 1.5". I have removed this single one and put it in a holding tank for a week then reintroduced it and it got beat up again. So I moved it bank into the holding tank. The other two swim and hang out together almost all the time.

Could it be that two of the three have formed a pair and the third is an outcast?

aharris
02-09-2004, 04:29 PM
I would say that's a good assumption. If you provide the pair with a good diet, regular water changes, and plenty of spawning sites (caves). It shouldn't be too long before you can expect fry.

DanL
02-10-2004, 09:01 AM
thats what I thought...

I am not actually trying to get them to breed though, if the do the fry will just get eaten anyways

aharris
02-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Nope, the parents will guard the fry and successive spawns will be guarded by both their parents and their older brothers and sisters. It's really cool to see. I have julidochromis and they're the same way.

Unless, that is, you plan on using them as feeders for something else.

DanL
02-10-2004, 01:46 PM
i really dont plan on saving any fry... these to fish I have are from the same spawn, and with some of the other fish I have in this tank I really dont think they would be able to protect their fry for to long...

aharris
02-10-2004, 02:11 PM
What else do you have in the tank? My julis successfully defended their young against mbuna for a long time. I've heard that brichardi are much worse, they might actually kill the mbuna.

SGypsyMermaid
02-10-2004, 02:35 PM
"brichardi death squad"-aharris

i couldn't resist!:rofl:

DanL
02-10-2004, 03:48 PM
click on the link in my sig and view my 72gallon tank...

aharris
02-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Maybe if the trets pair up then you'll have a problem. Your Altocomps are fry eaters, but I still think the brichardi parental reputation is such that you will have surviving fry. Given the way that each generation defends the younger, once you have a few sruvivers, you'll get more and more out of each batch. As your parents mature and grow larger, they'll get much mroe capable of driving those Altocomps away.

Altocomps strike me as more opportunistic than actual hunters. They'll definitely pick of the ones who get too far away from home, but they won't get all of 'em.