PDA

View Full Version : air pumps

red64toy
02-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Does anyone know who makes a good really quiet air pump. The one have is loud and kinda bugs me. Any suggestions? Thanks

the209jungalist
02-10-2004, 02:28 AM
My Top Fin pump is absolutely great compared to my old Elite. Elites could be used as human torturing devices. I used to have my old one wrapped and rubberbanded in one of my beanies, I had many a sleepless night from that stupid thing.

red64toy
02-10-2004, 11:48 AM
That is funny that you said you wrapped beanies around your pump. I have some socks on mine.:D Thanks for the help.

didjyman
02-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Rena's are real quiet I have them on all my tanks :ok:

bmxboy119
02-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Id just use a power head. Quiet goes under water and your fish will lve the current. (you can also adjust the bubbles)

chc
02-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Good advice on the power head. There's really no value to the bubbles an air pump creates. It's the air exchange at the surface that counts, and that can be generated by any type of water movement.

I will say that when most pumps get loud it is often a sign that the diaphragm needs to be replaced. Also, you can hang the pump with heavy duty rubber bands if you want to further dampen the vibrations.

didjyman
02-24-2004, 02:39 PM
I have read two views on this subject one is that surface agitation is all you need and another is, Airstones release thousands of bubbles which aerate the water and transport toxins from the substrate to the surface for dissipation.

chc
02-24-2004, 05:26 PM
mmmmmmm..... the second theory isn't exactly right, but there is some degassing at the surface and the agitation from substrate to surface can break up the layering of the water to a greater or lesser degree.

didjyman
02-24-2004, 06:09 PM
I am no expert by any means so if you don't mind could you explain what "layering of water" means?

Thank You :)

tbrodale
02-24-2004, 08:45 PM
I dont see how large bubbles help at all but I have found a great product called a bubble disk. Check it out: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10669&D=bubble%20disk&R=960&Ntt=bubble%20disk&Ntk=All&Dx=mode+matchallany&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Np=1&N=0&Nty=1

didjyman
02-24-2004, 08:58 PM
A bubble disk does create a neat effect but it takes alot of pump power to run one.

chc
02-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by didjyman
I am no expert by any means so if you don't mind could you explain what "layering of water" means?

Thank You :)

Layering refers to the condition when there is insufficient water movement from top to bottom in the water column. It is possible for the top layer of the water to be well (or fairly well) oxygenated while the lower layers are not. Thus, the total voulme of water does not have a good amount of dissolved oxygen in it.

It is more important to have the total volume of water moving so that it all gets to the surface from time to time than it is to have an air stone bubbling at the surface. Think of putting an air stone just under the surface of the water...... there wouldn't be much water movement at the bottom of the tank, so it wouldn't be working very efficiently.