PDA

View Full Version : 10gal tank

dwarfcat
02-07-2004, 11:07 PM
I have a 2' dovii, 3' red belly pacus, 2 2' plecos, 3' fantail goldfish and about a 3' firemouth. I know that this tank isnt large enough for the future but it seems to be ok right now. The fish seem to be friends. They gather up by the filter and just hover there. Sometimes the firemouth and the dovii stay in the same cup together. When i first let the firemouth out of the bag the dovii attacked it hardcore for about 1 min then stopped. As long as they arent killing each other is it ok to keep it like this?

Rudy
02-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Either you mean inches, or this is a bad joke. I am hoping the latter.

Solace
02-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Either way Dwarfcat is going to need a 500+ gallon tank as an absolute minimum in the near future. ;)

You're talking about approximately 16 feet of thick deep bodied fish.

40+ inches of Dovii
66+ inches of pacu
40+ inches of pleco depending on type
20 inches or so of goldfish
18 or so inches of firemouth

I am sure acts of attrition will thin those inches down quite a bit in the near future.

usafschue
02-08-2004, 12:29 AM
you mean 100 gallon right........

:drink: :drink: :drink:

dwarfcat
02-08-2004, 01:00 AM
yea i mean inches and no i mean 10 gallon
1 dovii
2 pleco
1 pacu
1 firemouth
1 goldfish
Thats the quantity per fish. They are all extremly small and i plan on gettin a larger tank when needed, but i think its crazy to run out and buy a huge tank when the fish are only babies and have plenty of room.

Solace
02-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Dwarfcat,

You might want to rethink the fish your wanting to keep. I know it's hard to decide on the right kind of fish to keep that is compatible with the amount of care you can provide at the moment. I have been guilty of the same thing many times over. It was rough on my wallet but worse on the fish.

You can always get those big tank buster type fish later when you can provide the care they need. Please don't think I am being hostile towards you. I just know what it's like to do things like this and have paid the price for it.

Edit:

After rereading your post I apologize I looked at the numbers wrong. You still have around 8 feet of fish when they reach adult size.

dwarfcat
02-08-2004, 01:10 AM
I might sell most of them back to the petstore in the future and just keep the 2 plecos, firemouth and goldfish. I like the firemouth cause i got him for 3 bucks because of a ripped fin. No one wanted the poor guy.

Solace
02-08-2004, 01:18 AM
That's probably a good idea.

Just bear in mind if the pleco's are the 'common' types they can grow to 18+ inches easy, 20-30+ inches isn't unheard of. The firemouth (man I really like this fish) can hit 6+ inches and I am thinking the goldfish even though I have never kept the fantails can hit around 8 inches.

In the long run you may want to think about a 75 gallon tank for the pleco's and the firemouth('s) add a few more to keep him company. And a good 55 gallon tank for the fantails so you can keep the water tailored the way the goldfish like it.

dwarfcat
02-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Cool thanks for the advice.

Mustang5L5
02-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by dwarfcat
They are all extremly small and i plan on gettin a larger tank when needed, but i think its crazy to run out and buy a huge tank when the fish are only babies and have plenty of room.

They will get fast quick. I would cut back on the 2 plecos and only keep 1. Also, getting rid of the pacu will be easier when it's a baby rather than when it's 36" long.

This is a pacu
http://www.findesemanatv.com.ar/pacu.jpg

dwarfcat
02-08-2004, 12:36 PM
O my god thats a huge fish.

usafschue
02-08-2004, 10:31 PM
indeed, where they come from everything is BIG :D

Rex Karr
02-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Everything is big in South America?

usafschue