PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish

jimez
02-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Can anyone tell me the averaga life span of angelfish. I do not deal with them but my wifes are slowly dying. The water cannot be any better. All the fish are of the same age.

jonah
02-07-2004, 05:07 PM
From all I've read and heard of over the years, 10-15 years seems to be the norm.

jimez
02-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Well that seems to be a problem. These fish are about 2 years old. They are the biggest fish in the tank. The other tank mates are tetras, and a couple of altospinosas. Oh and a few German blue rams. I thought that if there was a illness or somthing that the blue rams would be the first to go. The angels all looked very healthy too. Any suggestions???????

jonah
02-07-2004, 05:38 PM
I've only owned two angels and one of them died shortly after I got them. They were both adults at the time and the female died for no apparent reason (no outer damage), while none of the other fish in the tank even got sick. I never did figure out what killed it and I still have her mate to this day. He's about 4-5 years old.

It may have been some illness that only attacked the angelfish for some reason (like a parasite). Maybe it's hexamita, that seems to attack larger cichlids. Here's some info:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM053

Hopefully somebody with better angelfish experience will get in on this. I'll move it into the cichlid health forum.

jimez
02-07-2004, 05:54 PM
I thought that hexamita only caused hole in the head or ulcerations down the lateral line. Both would be noticeable physically. These fish have nothing. They just seem to be dying off 1 every 3 to 4 days. Could it be somthing with the strain of fish? If the parents had short life spans, is that somthing that could be past on to the fry in the genes? This seems like it is starting to get way too deep into biology for me.

jonah
02-07-2004, 06:01 PM
They have to live long enough to develop the holes. They can die before any outside signs of infestation. That link actually mentions angelfish in it's description. They lay down on their sides, sometimes for days, and then die. Have yours been laying down? They stop eating too and their stomachs distend.

If I'm understanding the description in the link right, hexamita is a pathogen that can cause hole-in-the-head, but it's not in itself HITH. You're right the biology is getting a little too much for me too.

And like I said before, I'm just guessing it might be hexamita.

jimez
02-07-2004, 06:12 PM
The fish don't lay down at all. They are eating the morning breakfast and by dinner they are goners. I just like to have two fish breed and get babies from them that look like they are supposed to. I don't want to worry about longevity and changing the fin colors. I will leave that up to the people who experiment with dna, and call themselves experts. "opps lokk what I created, oh yeah, I ment to do that"!

jennigypsy
02-07-2004, 11:45 PM
what is he pH in the tank? What kinds of food are they eating? I have 3 angels right now...1 is about 6 years old, another 5, the 3rd is about 2...and knock on wood I haven't had these problems. I keep their water pretty soft & acidic (6.0-6.6). LOTS of live food & live plants in the tank. I do regular 30% water changes weekly.

jimez
02-08-2004, 01:56 PM
The ph is maintained at 6.8. almost every other day they get live brine shrimp. The other days they get flake food. The tank is 90% live plants with lots of reed grasses. The tank goes through a 20% water change every week. Nitrites and nitrates are both at zero. Hardness is 12 dh.

jennigypsy
02-08-2004, 02:05 PM
hmm...I don't know...everything sounds in check...very strange.

the209jungalist
02-09-2004, 07:36 PM
You said that they are dying off slowly 1 every 3-4 days, sure seems fast to me unless you have a grip of angelfish. How big is your tank? Maybe you have too many angelfish in too small of a space, fish will die off for no apparent reason if they don't have enough space. That's hard for me to imagine too many angelfish in a small space, with their swimming habits but.... also how many angelfish did she have and does she have now?

crazyfishlady
02-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Another sign of hexamita that comes before the lateral line or head erosion is white stringy feces as your fish sheds some of its intestinal lining. Are you seeing any of this?

jimez
02-10-2004, 02:23 PM
The tank is a 75 gal bow front. She had six total. We are now down to two of them and holding....Thank goodness. At the start there were 6 angels 2 altospinosas and 4 german blue rams. The last two spicies only being about 1 inch in lentgh each. Haven't noticed any white stringy things though, the tank is in my wifs sewing room so don't go in there much except for feeding and water changes and such.