PDA

View Full Version : 40Gal...how many convicts??

Mustang5L5
02-06-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm turning my 40gal into a convict tank. It's a tall tank measuring 30" wide, 12" deep and 24" high.

I've kept and bred cons before, so this isn't new to me. I do want a breeding pair, but i also don't want a 40gal aquarium devoted to just two fish.

Since it's a tall, what upper level fish could i get to fill the top half of the aquarium? My lower 12" of the tank is driftwood and plants but the upper 12" is open water and my two current cons never travel there. What type of fish, native to the same waters cons live in could i use here?

Also, i've previously had two breeding pairs of cons occupy this tank at the same time. They split the bottom area 50/50 and respected each other's territory. They never venture into the top 12" of the tank. They both produced fry as fast as they could spit em out until one male died.

KG
02-10-2004, 10:03 AM
The African Butterfly Fish, also called the Butterfly Fish, is a delightful addition to many freshwater aquariums. They are surface dwellers and do not do well with other surface fish. In addition, they will eat smaller fish in the aquarium. They are classified as semi-aggressive fish for these reasons. Also the butterfly can get fairly the same size as the cons 4-5'' i hope i've helped.

crazyfishlady
02-10-2004, 12:43 PM
My only concern with the african butterfly would be its long trailing fins. I keep mine in a peaceful community tank, but with larger community fish, so that its fins don't get eaten.

Mustang5L5
02-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Well, for the time being i went with a school of Tiger barbs. I have 5 so far and they liven the tank up and make it fun the watch compared to the cons (which just hover around the bottom not doing anything exciting....yet) I might get a few more tiger barbs (or other barbs that will shoal with them) and then most likely will leave it at that.

The cons are still babys so nothing yet. I have 1 confirmed female and 2 males. No clue on the 4th yet