PDA

View Full Version : 2x New Breeder Tanks

barramundi
02-05-2004, 08:42 AM
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
The wife just gave the all clear on two new tanks for the shelves I put together. Am getting them custom built 800mm x500m x350mm of 10mm glass & nearly 130L each. They'll be for my FM colony (4x) in one & something else in the other (still American but) or as a rearing tank. Using pool filter sand for substrate - approx 1". Mixing limestone & lavarock for structures, some wood & a few amazon swords, java fern & mondo grass for plants (well fish food anyway). I eventually will setup a sump arrangement, but for now 1 will have the Fluval 304 with heavly sponged intake & meshed outlet. The other will have a Atman hang over the back job (cheapy had sitting in cupboard - puts thru about 800L's per hour) with supplemental small internal power filter. Also will be sponge protected & am investing in air powered sponge filters when fry are immenent. These tanks' sole purpose will be to give the fish a happy environment so they'll breed. The idea being to raise enough cash/credit from trading the offspring, to feed my habit. Hence more tanks, fish etc. My dream is to have a 1000L tank with a colony of Front's, but they're big bickies here in Perth so have to work my way up to it.
Anyway, point of my post, after ramblin on. Does anyone see any prob's with my idea or any recommendations. Also, will air powered sponge filters handle the bioload of a cichlid breeding tank, or should I just use them initially in a "rearing tank setup", with the fry relocating to them at free-swimming stage??
My breeding experience has all been with Corys, Bettas & so forth where I did everything after the eggs were laid, & raised the fry independently, otherwise the parents often ate them.
All advice gratefully accepted!!!

joey
02-05-2004, 09:36 AM
SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN TO ME ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN BREEDING ANY FISH. SO GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.