PDA

View Full Version : Most aggressive cichlid species

ryda
02-09-2011, 12:23 PM
can anybody list some??? i want to know which ones i should avoid buying

Heyguy74
02-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Welcome to teh forums,

A good number of the Central american species get very large and aggresive. Of course there are large aggresive cichlids from every place in which they are found. The best bet would be to find the fish you like and ask about it.

Frogman
02-09-2011, 04:37 PM
The biggest baddest fish I ever had was a buttercofferi. Not only do they get big, they are mean as heck. I had a rock on top of the tank so when I had to put my hand in I could defend myself with it. He killed almost every fish I had and I had the meanest africans and a 5 spot cichlid which is a terror itself.

baytherman
02-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Welcome to teh forums,

A good number of the Central american species get very large and aggresive. Of course there are large aggresive cichlids from every place in which they are found. The best bet would be to find the fish you like and ask about it.

Agreed, but there are a number of smaller Cichlids that can be nightmareish as well.
I have raised the Tilapia the Frogman speaks of, they are solid muscle without the will to quit fighting. They should be avoided unless you have a large tank with fish that are just as pugnacious.
Come back with some fish you are thinking of and you will get sound advice here. Good luck!

Peeps
02-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Are dovii's up their? I know they get massive and are pretty aggressive. I hard a RD and still have the scars from him biting me when i cleaned the tank.

Heyguy74
02-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Dovis are about as big and tough as you get. They get to the 2 ft mark in the wild. One of the largest of all cichlid species. Thats alot of cichlid.

CichNewfie
02-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Just one word. WOW:jaw: