PDA

View Full Version : Greenex safety?

gatohoser
02-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Is Greenex safe for freshwater fish and if so also for plants? On a side note...when I add rid ich to my tank it gets absorbed into my gravel or something...i have no clue. The color just fades away. I have no filtration in it besides a biowheel with no carbon right now. Some of the pebbles turn blue (they are from a river bed). What the h@#$ is going on?

2petuniasmom
02-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Ich! I just got done helping my mother and sister get rid of it in their tank. I have tried to impress the importance of not adding the water from the fish bag to the tank.....will they ever listen :confused: The fish can look fine, but the ich parasite can be in the free swimming form in the water!!!

Medications are a last resort IMO. Use 1T of salt to every five gallons of water and turn up the temp to 82-83 degrees (this speeds the life cycle of the ich). The Ich will not have a chance! Change water, change water, change water and then change the water. Remember to add the salt to the water you put into the tank when you change it.

Melfix can help heal the damage the parasite has caused on the fish. You can use the brand name Melfix or generic tea tree oil, the active ingredient in Melfix. Only 1% of melfix is tea tree oil, the rest is inert ingredients (I hate paying top dollar for inert ingredients). Make sure the tea tree oil you buy is pure and without other additives. I add 1 drop of tee tree oil per 10 gallons of water. Remember to add this to the water you replace when you change it as well.

The problem with ich is the life cycle. The free swimming form is the easiest to kill. At the stage you see it on your fish, it is resistant to treatment. There is a ton of info on this site about it and if you do a google search for "ich life cycle" and "ich treatments" and you will find a plethora of information.

Good luck :)

gatohoser
02-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Thank you but I still would like to know if greenex is freshwater safe or plant safe? Anyone?