PDA

View Full Version : RIO 400 filter problem

simon
02-04-2004, 08:12 AM
:dance: going bananas

I have just purchased a RIO 400 and am in the process of setting up a heavily stocked african tank, using tuffa rock and river sand substrate. I have an external eheim 2217 canister and was going to use this in addition to the internal filter that comes with the tank.
BUT
The internal filter takes up a fair amount of space and doesnt really seem up to the job, producing little circualtion, particularly at the other end of the tank (using the various sponges that came with the filter. Has anyone had experience with these tanks/filters...

is there anything I can do to improve their efficiency such as an alternative substrate that will not impede water flow too much?

or go to Plan B ... remove (if possible) the internal filter and add another external ehiem 2217?

Neil N
02-04-2004, 11:28 AM
hi,

i've got a rio 400, great tank, bad filter i would leave it in place with the powerhead and heater in but remove the filter media,
and get another external canister.

you can the put bags of charcoal, or phosphate removers in the internal filter casing and get a good flow of water thru them.

barramundi
02-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Same advice as Neil. Just use the internal as you chemical filtration, that way you can remove it easy should you need to med etc. That's about all it's good for. Run you canisters as the primary filtration. IMO

simon
02-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Since its big unsightly and fairly useless, I will graviate towards another eheim 2217 external canister and remove the internal (since it seems to be a waste of space and I can always put a more efficient internal in the tank at a later date.

Do you have any thoughts on removing these filters? Have you tried? unfortunately it looks very firmly attached.....

Neil N
02-06-2004, 07:24 AM
best way is to squeeze it as hard as you can it does come loose eventually the use a blade to remove and adhesive from the glass,

good luck!!

simon
02-09-2004, 03:08 AM
FYI

Having asked around. I have come across someone who has removed several internal filters from juwel tanks.

I was advised to use a chefs icing knife, long flexible thin blade apparently easy to get to the supports and cut them off........

I now have two 2217 eheim extenal canisters, feel more confident they will be up to the job on a well stocked malawi tank!

thanks for all your help

kind regards

Simon