PDA

View Full Version : 55G...100 pounds of holey rock

dmiles7
02-02-2004, 05:52 PM
the big piece measures...just a great looking rock with a ton of holes and caves

25 long
16 high
10 deep

weighs 80 pounds

I wanted to put it in the middle of the tank

Not sure if it weighs to much

Comments and suggestions please

tom
02-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Hi dmiles

99.9% the rock will be just fine. Pressure=Force/Area: Unless the rock's single contact point with the glass is an extraordinarily small sharp edge on an unlevel surface (or something along those lines), no problem--the force will be distributed over a sufficient area.

jonah
02-03-2004, 05:13 AM
You can also lay a piece of plastic eggcrate across the botttom before you put in the rock. That would distribute the weight some and keep the fish from digging all the way down to the glass.

dmiles7
02-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Thanks...do I cut it to fit snug inside the whole bottom of the tank tank or just cut it to put under the big rock

chc
02-03-2004, 08:56 AM
dmiles....... I would cut it to fit a little wider than the rock itself.

BTW..... I use styrofoam sheets in the same way....... you could also use a sheet of acrylic about 1/4" thick.

dmiles7
02-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Strofoam....and does that not decay over time

When you say acrylic...you mean the material acrylic tanks are made of???

Overall what would be the easiest???

thanks

jonah
02-03-2004, 05:38 PM
I don't think Styrofoam will ever decay. It would probably be the easiest to use, but I prefer the rigidness of the eggcrate. Styrofoam would probably be the most inexpensive to use too.

dmiles7
02-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I bought the egg crate and already cut it...thanks

dmiles7
02-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Jonah...I cut it to the size of the tank...will that be OK..thanks

ticman
02-03-2004, 08:28 PM
dmiles

where did u get the eggcrate and how much was it?

I assume you do eggcrate then rock and then add sand/gravel

Mike

jonah
02-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by dmiles7

That will work fine.

ticman: You find it at stores like Lowe's and Home Depot in the lighting department. It's sometimes called light diffuser. Usually goes around $10 a sheet (4'x2')

dmiles7
02-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Home Depot is where I got it...10.00. Had to cut it...used my jigsaw and it worked fine.

Mike....you don't happen to live in San Antonio do you...if so...I have some of it left

tom
02-03-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by dmiles7

:lol: dmiles...Ya don't trust what I sez, eh? :wink:

OK..seriously...Jonah and chc are just expounding (only with more clarity) the same basic principle of physics. The purpose of the eggcrate is to distribute force evenly over a larger area. The larger the area covered, the less the pressure at any given point. Think of walking in deep snow with street shoes vs. snowshoes. Because snowshoes are longer and wider, the force applied by your mass is distributed over a larger area, thus making walking on the snow easier.

Unless the rock has really small contact points, you don't even need the eggcrate IMHO (remember also that the rock weighs less in water than in air), but I defer to Jonah and chc: Eggcrate provides added security.

Tom (aka "I ain't no Newton")

dmiles7
02-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Tom...I trust ya.......just got to damn excited that I almost have this thing ready to set up....

Now my problem is this...I have the Fluval 404 but have been reading some reviews about how this may not be a very nice canister filter.

What is your opinion on this...should I spend the money for a better brand...your thoughts please

Thanks

tom
02-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Hi dmiles

I've never used a Fluval, so I can't be of any help in comparisons involving that filter. Filters and filtration are definitely chc's domain: I've learned a lot from him here.

In canister filters, I use the Eheim 2217.

If you're asking if I think it's worth the money buying what you know--or strongly suspect--is a superior filter, that's a hands-down YES. An investment in peace of mind is the sweetest kind.

jonah
02-04-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by tom
Think of walking in deep snow with street shoes vs. snowshoes. Because snowshoes are longer and wider, the force applied by your mass is distributed over a larger area, thus making walking on the snow easier.

Great analogy, Tom! I'm using it next time this comes up.:ok:

re: The Fluval

I've been using a 404 for 2-3 years and it's been a real workhorse for me with no significant problems. I've used it as additional filtratrion with HOB's (hang on backs).

ticman
02-04-2004, 05:30 AM
dmiles,

not San Antonio lol Connecticut but thanks for the offer

Jonah/ Tom thanks for info both the "how to" and the "why--Newton" lol

Got to smile every day.

Mike

dmiles7
02-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Thanks again for the info.....

chc
02-04-2004, 08:19 AM
I agree with everyone's comments about Fluvals and Eheims. Fluvals are a very good filter, and most people have very good success with them. Eheims are much more expensive, but you're paying for their unequalled engineering.