PDA

View Full Version : Mini Ram

yutaka
02-01-2004, 05:40 AM
Hi,

I bought this ram a couple of months back and have been breeding them successfully. Are these sold in the US or other parts of the world?

Cheers,

Yutaka

joey
02-01-2004, 11:27 AM
ive seen two before in the lfs a while back. i live in texas.

usafschue
02-01-2004, 10:21 PM
pretty, very nice ! :)

jimez
02-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know what the name of them is? Other than microgeophagus ramirez. I have never seen any quite like this and would like to get my hands on a few from somewhere....

Rudy
02-02-2004, 01:44 PM
I actually don't knwo much about dwarf cichlids, but maybe I should. Great looking fish!!

Butterfly Cichlid, Ram, Apistogramma ramirezi, Papiliochromis ramirezi

Does anyone know what the name of them is?

yutaka
02-02-2004, 11:25 PM
Hi guys,

When I bought them, they were tagged as Papiliochromis ramirezi.
Some called them balloon ram as they seemed to spot a bloated body like the balloon molly.They are obviously not bloated but looked more like a dwarf form of the standard ram.

I heard they were sold for US$7-10.Good luck and have fun rearing and even breeding them.

cheers,

Yutaka

peppermint22
03-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Hi! I have a pair of these in my outdoor pond. They are much nicer than the standard rams offered for sale being more hardy, having long, flowing fins and a more intense coloration. I think I have 2 males and I am currently looking for some females so I can breed them. However, they don't come by very often.

yutaka
03-08-2004, 08:08 AM
Hi,

Yeah they color up real nice,especially when u "bathe" them in the red hot tropical sun and probably live longer than the standard ram...

I have seen them a couple of times at 2 lfs some months ago,mostly male though...
Their body shape,coloration and finnage are rather dissapppointing...

Where did u buy them and how much did they cost u?

Cheers,

Yutaka

:)

peppermint22
03-09-2004, 04:49 AM
I agree with u. The rams which I have seen lately are what I think, the standard rams which are larger and not as colourful. I bought mine from Pets Wonderland in Subang Parade and they cost me RM3.50 each. Mine have more purple and red, not so much yellow. I really wanna breed them. Do u have any females?

BlueRam
03-09-2004, 03:16 PM
They look like German blue rams to me :D I have 4 young 'uns (two breeding pairs). Heres a site.

German blues (http://www.aquajapan.com/encyc/cichlid/cichlidae/mikrogeophagus/ramirezi_e.html)

And heres a good one for info on them (http://hjem.get2net.dk/Best_of_the_Web/blue%20rams.html)

jimez
03-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Sorry BlueRam they are not your typical ramirezi. The body is more compressed and the tail is more of a lyre shape

yutaka
03-10-2004, 05:50 AM
Hi Peppermint,

What I saw was definitely not the standard ram...
The mini/balloon rams don't look like they used to be...
Mine really cost me a lot, but they look real good....

Initially,I thought they were genetically engineered and sterile,but not anymore...I was lucky to have had 2 pairs with 2 female...Sexing them was tough,but one female is enough to bear you tonnes of fries,except that the fries are hard to raise...

Mine was blue body, yellow on the operculum and red/brown on the head, but its descendants are showing more blue,green and some purple and its finnage are no longer lyretail like,sigh!!!....

I have a number of females....
Why would u wanna breed them?It's so much hassle and they give u lots of heartaches when they die....

Cheers,

Yutaka

:)

yutaka
03-12-2004, 07:02 AM
peppermint,

Here u go....choose one...:)

peppermint22
03-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Hi yutaka. I've sent u a PM already.

yutaka
03-14-2004, 05:25 AM
hi peppermint,

yur fish look like this, with less yellow coloration?

yutaka:)

peppermint22
03-14-2004, 06:21 AM
Yes, and the fins are MUCH longer.

peppermint22
03-14-2004, 06:44 AM
Could u tell me how to sex these balloon rams. I think I might have a female after all. When I caught it for an inspection yesterday, I noticed that one of them had something like a female organ portruding from its butt.

yutaka
03-14-2004, 07:42 AM
hi pepermint,

ah!! breeding tube!!!
that must be the female and she's probably in the midst or about to do it....oh man hope u didn't spoil their smooching time..

to confirm, put them in a container or something and take a top down view...u will be able to tell the difference, the lady should be bloated...to double check, the male's caudal and pelvic fins should be longer...the black blotch, if the lady has it,is normally tainted with iridescent speckles....i have never relied on the pinkish belly or the appropriate breeding dress for the ladies, though...

keep us updated....

yutaka

peppermint22
03-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi! I've got them in a tiny aquarium for closer inspection. I can see the red coloration on the belly and on the snout, as well as the blue speckling on the black dot, which isn't present on the other ram. The female looks larger than the male(???). I've also noticed some anatomical difference, but I'm not too sure which is which. Here's my guess:
http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/507/4048anatomy.jpg

The male has a tiny round bubble on his butt while the female has a very short and thin tube. Is that it? I can't compare fin length as both are very long and curly.

yutaka
03-15-2004, 03:52 AM
Hi peppermint,

well, as for the tube i think the reverse might be true,
a method seldom used unless for angels....

i think u have a pair...and yur female is a real seducer ie having lipstick on its pouting lips....

a picture paints thousand words..
hope u find it useful...

it's their honeymoon, waste no time....and 2 weeks later they will do it again,and again...

:dance: :rofl:

peppermint22
03-15-2004, 04:00 AM
Hmm... I can't see the entire pic. It looks like it's been cut off.

yutaka
03-15-2004, 04:02 AM
here u go again....male...

yutaka
03-15-2004, 04:02 AM
here u go again....female...

yutaka
03-15-2004, 04:07 AM
sigh!!! here u go....male...