PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank help

jbetz812
01-31-2004, 11:18 PM
:dance: My 55 is back to normal! I have learned my lesson and will now use a quarantine tank when getting new fish. I have a 10 gl. with a box filter that I put some gravel from my 55 and some floss in. What are some do's and don'ts with the quarantine tank. I plan on keeping the new fish in there for 4 weeks, what am I looking for and do I put anything in the water to kill anything they might be carrying. Thanks for any help, I have some pics at www.webshots.com under jbetz812:ok:

jaysun
02-01-2004, 10:59 AM
what i do is keep an extra AC150 in my 110g. When i get a new fish, i fill my 5g with water from the 110g and move over the extra ac150, (no gravel in the 5g) with a jaber heater and pvc cave to make him/them feel less stress. I keep them in there for 3-4 weeks, at the end of that time if they are healthy, then into the 110g. Then clean out the 5, move back the filter. Works great

chc
02-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Good tips. I also like to feed the fish in quarantine medicated foods (for worms), especially if they are wild caught. Other than that, I do not like to use medication unless I can see and diagnose a particular disease.

cichgirl
02-04-2004, 08:40 AM
I always feed pepso food to any new fish coming in to clean out their system and then just watch them for a month to make sure no problems develop. Things to look for are - well, anything out of the ordinary. Watch the new fish closely for ich, fungus, fin rot, cloudy eyes, respiration speed, condition of slime coat & scales, etc... Also make note of appetite & pay attention to the poop. If anything is off, post! Like chc, I wouldn't treat them for something they don't have- don't waste your money. Good luck! A quarantine tank is a WONDERFUL investment.

sirgardens
07-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Whats happening jbetz812.I just got my 10g quarantine about a week ago.Reading the veterans post and advice I cant believe I whent so long with out one.Thanks for posting this you saved me the time.

LoJack
07-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by jaysun
what i do is keep an extra AC150 in my 110g. When i get a new fish, i fill my 5g with water from the 110g and move over the extra ac150, (no gravel in the 5g) with a jaber heater and pvc cave to make him/them feel less stress. I keep them in there for 3-4 weeks, at the end of that time if they are healthy, then into the 110g. Then clean out the 5, move back the filter. Works great

I do the same thing ... except I don't usually leave them in there for a whole month. About two weeks typically. SHould I be leaving them longer?