PDA

View Full Version : White stuff in tank?

2petuniasmom
01-30-2004, 10:27 PM
My brother and his wife just started a 20 gal tank. In it they have 2German Blue Rams and a couple of angel fish. The tank has cycled. They left for a couple of days for a funeral. They did not have a timer on the light and when they came back, there was a white fuzz on the bottom of the tank. They have tried to clear it away, but don't want to send the tank back to cycling again. There is still some of it on plants, in rocks, in filter.

I have kept aquariums for 10 years and have never seen anything like this. What is it?:confused: :confused: If I had to guess, I would say a fungus. Their tank temp is 78, PH is 7, ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, nitrate 40. I told them to do a 30% water change daily trying to get it out if they can until it clears up. I think they are going to add some melfix as well. It is not on the fish, yet :nervous: They are active and feeding well.

Any help would be appreciated:)
thanks, Julie

the209jungalist
02-02-2004, 10:43 PM
scrub, scrub, scrub!!! Did anything die in their tank, I've noticed that when I feed my guys live food or something dies, my tank will let me know.

For now scrub, and gravel vac all that stuff out. Try some algae stuff, I tell you lately I have been seeing new kinds of algae every month. The other day I noticed some almost flourescent yellow algae, it looked like someone colored with a highlighter in our tanks. Very weird.

Good luck with the tank!

2petuniasmom
02-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi 209,
They took everything out but the gravel and cleaned really well. They are rinsing filter daily to get rid of it. The amount of it in the tank has decreased a lot, but it is still there. They also have a 12 gal with some small tetras in it. It is in that tank as well - must have come in water. Doesn't make you want to drink from the tap, that is for sure! They also bought a water filter for the tap and are using it for all water changes - a good idea I think. Strage stuff though. It looks like cobwebs acroww the botton of the tank. When you disturb it to vac, it clumps up....never seen anything like it.

OH, and no dead occupants. That was my fist thought as well was that something was rotting in there. Thankfully, they have not lost any fish to it.
Thanks, Julie