PDA

View Full Version : Damn Fluval!!!! Plz assist!!!

Cypherman
01-29-2004, 05:36 PM
I know this has been asked 1000x, but I really need help! I cant get my Fluval 404 to work after dismantling it to clean it out. I always make sure it is full of water before filling it, but its acting very strangely, as I see bubbles and water flowing out the intake spout for maybe 2 seconds, and then nothing...The top isn't on backwards; it doesnt go on that way. So I have to reprime it, and start all over. I've reset the top many, many times but it isnt helping at all...I've spent 3 hours screwing with this thing and I'm about to fling it out the window...Its great when its running but god what a pain to maintenance it! Fortunately I have aeration so my Malawi tank wont be gasping tonight, but I'ma lose a ton of bacteria, depending on how fast you respond :wink: (I got class to go to too, so I will be without filtration for 3 more hours assuming I get it fixed when i return :bawl: ) So yea, plz assist!!!! My fish thank you in advance!

jonah
01-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Cypherman
I know this has been asked 1000x, but I really need help! I cant get my Fluval 404 to work after dismantling it to clean it out. I always make sure it is full of water before filling it, but its acting very strangely, as I see bubbles and water flowing out the intake spout for maybe 2 seconds, and then nothing...The top isn't on backwards; it doesnt go on that way. So I have to reprime it, and start all over. I've reset the top many, many times but it isnt helping at all.

I'll assume you meant the return spout, not the intake spout, since that would mean the water was flowing the wrong way. Sometimes my 404 will spout bubbles intermittantly when I first restart it, but it goes back to a regular flow within 10-15 minutes. Have you felt in front of the return outlet to make sure it's not working or can you tell visually? Mine is aimed at the surface so I can see the water moving when it starts up.

The only advice I can think of is fill the cannister again, plug it in and wait 10 minutes. I've never had mine not start flowing normally within a few minutes.

Cypherman
01-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by jonah
I'll assume you meant the return spout, not the intake spout, since that would mean the water was flowing the wrong way.

No, that's exactly whats happening...The water shoots out the wrong way for a few moments, and then it would just stop...And yea my return hose is above the water's surface so I know nothing is going on, I felt no air or water flow with my finger...Not sure what that means so I'll try and see if it corrects itself like you suggested...*Crosses fingers* BTW does that little wedge shaped "flap" on top of the lid below the primer that pops up and down have any useful function? (I have the older model so I dunno if you have it or not)

barramundi
01-30-2004, 01:30 AM
I know it may be stating the obvious, but I assume you've checked your hoses aren't reversed???

Assuming that, the flap at the base of the hose where it connects to the lid must be locked down. It secures the hose bases & creates a seal to get suction. Check it's locking in properly. Also, if they're not already, wet the rubber o-rings around the hoses where the slot into the lid, & also around the lid itself where it locks into the base.

One more thing, have you checked the bottom of your primer? There's a plastic suction cup there, check it's not been damaged or is mis-shapen, as it needs to seal to drag the water down.

Sorry in advance, if you've already tried that, just trying to help. I have an old 304.