PDA

View Full Version : Need help...ASAP

2klude
01-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Tomorrow morning I am going to be switching everything out of my 72gal, and move it all to a 180gal.

The tank will be in the same spot where my 72gal is setup. I am selling the tank tomorrow and promised the tank delivered by tomorrow night. I wanted to get some opinions on what I should do. This is what I have planned so far but I am not sure if my fish will be ok in the meantime.

I plan on using a 35gal plastic tub style container. I am pretty sure I can mount one of my HOB filters on the edge of the tub if I can remove the extension piece on the intake of my penguin 330.

I Plan to put my heater in the tub. I am using 30gals of water from my old tank. Placing the heater directly in shouldn’t harm my fish because the temp wouldn’t be to far off. Is the fair to say?

So how long can I keep my fish in the tub for?

I have to setup my new tank and clean out the old one for delivery. I figure it will take me one and a half hours to take down the old tank. Another 3 hours to clean sand, place new sand and rocks in tank, and fill the tank with water.

then planned on cleaning the old tank out...probably take me 3 hours to clean the tank deliver it to the new owner, and get back to my fish.

That’s seven and a half hours my fish will be in the tub. Is that totally fine? How will my 20 fish do in this setup? I have some larger and mid size fish. No aggression in the tank. In the meantime I figure my tank should clear up quit abit.

Just wanted to see what people thought about my situation and how I planed to deal with it. Any comments welcome. I need all the info I get regarding switching my tank.

tom
01-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi 2klude

Surprisingly, I've never been in your situation and so can't directly advise you, but this thread may help (same in principle; read especially the first four or so posts):

http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2297

Solace
01-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Many people use the rubbermaid tubs as cheap aquariums. If you have adequate filtration/heating (active sponge filter will do) you can keep your fish in a tub indefinantly. I have used them as quarantine and grow out tanks.

New2Fish
01-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Do you have anyone helping you with the setup/cleaning/removal?

If so, then what you are planning should be no problem, and the fish should be fine. I know from my experience that my "estimated" time never seems to work out. Either way, with the appropriate filtration/heat etc. the fish should be okay for the short term.

Good luck and congrats on the new setup.

merlyn2221
01-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Keep as much water as you can from the original tank. This will cut way down on possible cycling problems (even if you are using cycled filters) in the new setup. Also don't rinse the substrate. Just dump it right into the new tank. This will help keep everything balanced. Fish should be ok indefinately in the bin. Just not for days. If you can store the old aquarium water in a new clean garbage pail (like a 50 gallon one maybe) you can siphon it back into the new tank and put the fish in once it is the right temp. Put your new heaters in the pail to help keep the temps up.
Good luck!

Overawed
01-23-2004, 05:55 PM
wow, fish-water recycling at its best! brilliant meryl!!!