PDA

View Full Version : Severe Bloat

Boilermaker
01-20-2004, 01:38 AM
Here is a photo of a severe case of Malawi bloat.
This is my Tanzanian Yellow female, also this is what happens when you don't pay attention to whats going on in your tanks.
:mad:

Boilermaker
01-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Here's another

SGypsyMermaid
01-20-2004, 04:58 AM
sorry to hear it, boilermaker. do you treat with metronizidole(sp?). or something else?

aharris
01-20-2004, 06:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your fish. :(

Still, thank-you for posting the photograph. Maybe someone will be able to use it save their own fish too.

There's a suggestion. Maybe we could have an archive of photos folks have taken of various fish ailments they've seen and dealt with. Boilermaker's Malawi bloat photo and the pics of the calvus with suspected piscine TB would be great starts.

strawberrysue000
01-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Ive a pic of a case of real bad fungas..(Columnaris) on a black convict.

Sorry bout' your fish..:(..

sue..

Boilermaker
01-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the condolences, my bad I don't have the room to quarintine, and ever since I've added the fuelliborni trio I've been having problems this could be stress related also since the male fuelliborni is hyperdominant.

S.gypsy, yes I do use metronzidale and I combine this with Bifuran in the past I have had good results with Clout.
I need to move fry and juvies around today right now the hospital tank is being used as a growout tank or growout rubbermaid.
Aharris and Sue I thought that might be a good idea to post the photo for others that might not know what bloat looks like,
would like to see your photo also Sue of the real bad fungus.
And how are the mapleleafs doing this year? the only one I follow is Roberts cause he's on my fantasy team.

chc
01-20-2004, 01:29 PM
There is a good article in the Buntbarsche Bulletin about the use of metronidazole. It covers the fact that that med cannot be dissolved effectively into fresh water and must be consumed to do any good.

Nice article to read......

strawberrysue000
01-21-2004, 09:42 AM
..:lol: ..GO LEAFS GO..:ok: ..Roberts all the way..great player..been good to us...I know his sister Karen shes around the corner here..Colborne Ontario..Roberts was spotted a few times in the arena here,sitting in the back with his brother in law..Roberts and his family have donated quite a bit of money for our new arena..:ok: ..The Keller Center(heated seats..)Wooohoooo...
the time we were there..my son and other kids were just thrilled to have met him..(and me too..hehehe) awsome guy..

back to the post..:lol: ..I will dig up that pic as soon as I can..and post it here..

sue...

Boilermaker
01-21-2004, 12:06 PM
CHC, One day soon I'll become a member I would like to read that article, another question?

On that start right bacteria starter one of the breeders thats sells cichlids on my site swears by this stuff when doing water changes, but I'm sure I read a thread where this bacteria doesn't even have the right bacteria that the tank needs?

Sue, yea I picked up Roberts off the free agent board, what a steal.

chc
01-23-2004, 07:34 PM
I've only had mixed success with starter cultures.......... and I don't believe it is the correct type of bacteria.

I do better with seeding new tanks with old filter materials, old gravel, etc.

If that guy says he uses the starter with every water change, I'd say he's wasting time and money. It doesn't make sense that it would even be needed (assuming it worked.... which I don't do) unless he was starting up a new tank. An established tank would have no need for more bacteria just because a water change was being made. The amount of bacteria lost as part of the change would be minor and would in no way inhibit the processes of the bacteria that remained in the tank.