PDA

View Full Version : automatic fish feeder

Ross
10-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Anybody have any suggestions on buying an automatic fish feeder. I am gone about a third of the time because of work and about to go on vacation. I have a neighbor take care of feeding the fish when I am gone but I would like to get it set up so I don't have to use the neighbor.

TIA,
Ross

SGypsyMermaid
10-31-2002, 09:17 AM
what kind of suggestions are you looking for? do you mean where you can buy them?

Ross
10-31-2002, 10:01 AM
[quote:4d65e30096="SGypsyMermaid"]what kind of suggestions are you looking for? do you mean where you can buy them?[/quote:4d65e30096]

Brand or type mostly, suggestions on where to buy them too. My tank is 60 gallon South American with about 25 inches of growing fish.

TIA,
Ross

SGypsyMermaid
10-31-2002, 10:21 AM
i can't advise you on brands--i've never used them, but check out the catalogs for purchase:

www.petsolutions.com

www.thatfishplace.com

www.bigalsonline.com

www.petwarehouse.com (different from petswarehouse)

catfishes
10-31-2002, 10:52 AM
I'll check this evening and see what brand name the store I work at recommends. I do know that they don't come cheap if you're looking for a reliable feeder that won't turn your tank into one big cloud of yuck.

Rudy
10-31-2002, 11:53 AM
I looked at a hagen one just about 15 minutes ago when I was .......um out at a clients. 24.99 for a nutrimatic on sale here. Looked like it works pretty well. Of course I have never used one.

Ross
10-31-2002, 02:47 PM
I would appreiciate any help, I have time to research to nite but will be gone again, for only a couple days. The closest pet store is about 80 miles(one way) and its a petsmart, not sure what they have. I don't want to waste the time and find nothing.

Thanks again for the help,
Ross

Ross
10-31-2002, 09:17 PM
Anybody have any info on this feeder, good or bad?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4433

catfishes
11-01-2002, 07:23 AM
Backing up just a wee bit here, how many days are you planning on being gone?

Ross
11-01-2002, 07:57 AM
About two to three weeks. I will be in the area part of the time so I will be able to check on them a couple of times durning my vacation.

Ross

luvthesefish
11-21-2002, 07:48 PM
I just bought two feeders, one for each of my 55 gal. tanks. They are just "The 7-Day Pyramid Fish Feeder...for Fresh & Saltwater fish" by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

My reliable fish guy said that these work very well.

According to the package:

"One pyramid will feed 20 average-sized fish in a 10 gallon tank for 7 to 8 days. In the aquarium, the feeder will start dissolving, within a few hours, the first nourishing food pellets will begin to swell & push out of the pyrmid. On or about the fourth day, a secret chanber will open, releasing a cube of tubifex worms."

So if you have someone who can offer other food and replace the pyrmid every 7 days, you should be okay.

Good Luck!