PDA

View Full Version : Tang community compatibility

Chet
10-29-2002, 11:12 AM
Does anyone forsee a problem housing trets, shellies, and one of the smaller alto comp species together in a 30?

I would start with a group of juveniles of each, ultimately hoping to achieve a pair of trets, one or two pairs of comps, and a colony of shellies.

I figured I would do rock piles in both end back corners with shells in the front and middle, and a sand substrate.

Thanks for your input.

BadAndy
10-30-2002, 06:19 AM
I've read that the alto comp species will eat the shell dwellers. Their laterally compressed bodies and long snouts make it ideal for them to root out the shellies.

I have no experience with this but I had the same idea once(not the trets) and read the above information. Is it true? who knows but it kinda makes sense. I just read an account about Amos the freshwater mbu puffer and his ten year life in a community tank. He ate two other fish the entire time - a corydoras catfish and a khuli loach. So you never know . . .

BadAndy

Rudy
10-30-2002, 10:02 AM
What bad andy says is what a lot of people experience, however if they grow together they should be o.k. Try to get them all at the same time.

I keep 2 large alto comps with occelatus in my 180. In all honest I keep them with lots of other large fish and have no problems. First of all shellies are really aggressive and can hold their own. Secondly comps take years to grow. They probably die of old age before they are full grown. I wouldn't worry to much about it, but maybe get some larger shellies like brevis of occelatus rather than multies so they will have more of a chance.

Chet
10-30-2002, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I read that about the comps on one website, but everything else I've read recommends them for a Tang community tank and says they are quite peaceful. I figure if I go with a smaller species, and since they take so long to mature anyway, I should be in the clear. I like the look of the similis the best out of all the shellies I've seen, but I figure I'll go with one of the larger and more aggressive shellies for the community tank and reserve the similis for a species tank down the road.

Is there anything else you anyone would recommend in addition to or in place of any of the above mentioned species? I'm afraid that my proposed stocking may not be crowded enough to keep dispurse and control aggression...?

LeBigFishMiester
01-25-2003, 10:52 PM
It depends on your size of Comps...once they are adults, yes they may pick them off, alot depends on the size of your tank.