PDA

View Full Version : Soft water, but high ph..?

Cation
01-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Can this happen? My oh is 7.8 but my water is soft. Now I wish I would have asked ofr the actuall numbers for the "soft" because this doesn't seem right to me. I am gonna test it myself just to see how soft my well water actually is.

SGypsyMermaid
01-14-2004, 07:32 PM
it is possible...you can harden the water with limestone, tufa, reef rock, etc.

Cation
01-14-2004, 08:08 PM
what about crushed coral? I was going to put some in to bost the ph a bit, would it do anything for the hardness?

SGypsyMermaid
01-18-2004, 01:06 PM
yes

big_fat_paulie
03-10-2009, 07:55 PM
My tank water is like that too, I got the tank on Saturday and I've let it run for a few days to test all my equpiment out. I used a Nutrafin test and my ph was about 8.4-8.6 it was a navy blue color but when I did the hardness test it only took 2 drop to changes the water color to blue so about 40. Ther's a product called Nutrafin African Chiclid Water Conditioner that increases ph should I get it? Oh and I have a 40g tank and I'm planning on keeping Lake Malawi chiclids in it is the ph too much?

Glaive
03-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Which hardness did you test for?

SGypsyMermaid
03-10-2009, 09:04 PM
My tank water is like that too, I got the tank on Saturday and I've let it run for a few days to test all my equpiment out. I used a Nutrafin test and my ph was about 8.4-8.6 it was a navy blue color but when I did the hardness test it only took 2 drop to changes the water color to blue so about 40. Ther's a product called Nutrafin African Chiclid Water Conditioner that increases ph should I get it? Oh and I have a 40g tank and I'm planning on keeping Lake Malawi chiclids in it is the ph too much?

the ph is perfect. i personally like to maintain my ph and hardness with calcareous rock. read my post above.

big_fat_paulie
03-10-2009, 10:17 PM
I actually have crushed coral in there to raise ph but for some reason it didn'traise the hardness, Glaive I tested for general hardness and i just did a KH test and it took one drop so its only 10 doesn't limestone and tuffa affect ph I don't want to add stuff then have it shooting out the window. The water conditioner was actually for water hardness anyone tried it before? There are naysayers and firm believers of using chemical enhancancers and products.

Glaive
03-10-2009, 10:58 PM
I do not like the practice of using chemicals to mess with chemistry.
I am a proponent of fixing the system. You can add crushed coral to
a filter in order to raise KH and GH but the other side of that is gas
exchange. You need good surface movement to promote gas exchange.

big_fat_paulie
03-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Umm right now I'm looking for something that will raise the KH and GH but won't send the ph flying out the roof I know there is no miracle solution. I already have crushed coral in there but the live rocks may have also added something else to the water that raised h and not the other stuff.

Glaive
03-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Crushed coral and gas exchange are the ticket. The PH is typically set by the GH and regulated by the KH. I have a feeling you have a higher GH than the test kit is revealing.
Our tests are not very accurate in a scientific sense so perhaps it's not catching the other types of hardness. If you already have the crushed coral in your filter I would look at the gas exchange and leave the rest alone.

big_fat_paulie
03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Err, I did something stupid before I went on to read the replies, I went to my LFS and the guy there told me the water here in Vancouver is soft and told me to just add a tablespoon of baking soda to raise the kh but warned me it would likely raise the ph as well. Lo and behold my Kh raised to 50, 5 drops before it changed color but when I did my ph test it was a really dark blue almost black, thank god I don't have any fish in there. Would the ph and stuff lower if I did a water change or would leaving it alone be good enough? And how would you check the gas exchange as well for the past 2-3 days there was alot of little bubbles sticking to the glass but its disappearing at a good rate portion by portion almost, is that a good thing?

I don't want to mess my tank up have all my future fish die and waste a nice bowfront tank by raising goldfish in it.