PDA

View Full Version : algae

trx300exj
01-13-2004, 10:32 AM
my 55 gal has been cycling for bout 3 weeks now and im starting to get algae on my fake plants and the water is a lil cloudy y is this happining?

cichgirl
01-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Most likely an algae/bacterial bloom. It will go away when the nitrate level increases. It mostly happens in a new tank that is cycling.. Don't change your routine unless the fish are in distress from high ammonia or nitrites. Try to keep the light off for a few days, and it should go away on it's own.

trx300exj
01-13-2004, 11:14 AM
o ok thanks

jaysun
01-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by cichgirl
It will go away when the nitrate level increases. .

Isnt nitrate food for algae? So wouldnt an increase of nitrate make the matter worst?

cichgirl
01-13-2004, 01:17 PM
:oops:

Thank you, jayun, for pointing that out... lol. :D

Jaysun is right - nitrate is food for algae, but in a 3 week old tank, there aren't enough nitrates to feed it unless they are in your tap water... Definately block out natural light and leave the light off for a few days for the algae.. That's probably the culprit.

IME, bacterial blooms and algae blooms can go hand in hand and they usually occur in new tanks. My advice would be to cut down on feeding and get polyfilter at your lfs. Cut it exactly to fit your filter. That'll trap the small particles that are causing the cloudiness in your tank. It will go away in a few days to a week or so, depending on the status of your tank cycle.

Water changes will sometimes make matters worse. My first bacterial bloom got really bad when I changed the water every 2 days - I was a kid and wouldn't listen to my Mom and leave it alone. The water got to be a milky gray color. I ended up with an algae bloom immediately following the bacterial bloom. Too many water changes can really mess up a new tank.

Sorry for the confusion....

trx300exj
01-13-2004, 01:49 PM
aight ill just turn the lights off, and the room gets like no light at all

chc
01-16-2004, 08:18 AM
I really wouldn't worry about the algae for now. You can always clean the plastic plants by soaking them in a 10% bleach solutiion (rinse very well after cleaning). Worry more about the cycling.

Some algae is good.