PDA

View Full Version : Oscar injury

cichgirl
01-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi all,
Okay, so my husband was playing with our oscar trying to distract him to treat the jd to a shrimp. The oscar jumped out of the tank and my husband freaked. He felt really bad & looked so helpless. I promptly gently picked him up and put him back in the tank. I held back on the "I told you so" because It could have happened to anyone who lifted the lid on the tank. I usually block him. His attitude and personality seems perfectly fine (the fish, not the husband - he's still upset) - he was a little stressed for around 5 minutes but snapped right out of it & continued begging for food as usual...

I have treated the tank with novaqua - to help replace his slime coat and add electrolytes to the water. I've also dosed the tank with melafix. Am I missing anything as far as treatment? He did get scuffed up a bit. He has one somewhat deep scrape near his lateral line. It was quite a fall onto the rug. The top of the tank is almost eye level and I'm 5'9". I have pimafix in case he develops an infection.

Should I be concerned about internal injuries (swim bladder/digestive tract)? Should I feed him as I normally do or hold back & feed less in case of injury?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stef

strawberrysue000
01-13-2004, 11:31 AM
OPPSSSS:nervous: ..Sounds like you know your way around a tank,and are doing the right thing.
Keep treatment with Melafix for the full 7 days(remove carbon) and do a water change right after25%-30% and 2 days after..do add Cycle after as well.(essential)
Watch him closely for secondary infections. As we know bacteria is always present in a tank just waiting to nail the fish.
Do cut back on his feeding abit..but not to much as you dont want him to jump up in hunger and happen again..
I have to ask though what size tank do you have him in?..
any other tank mates?
Internal injuries we cannot tell but YES watch for any kind of odd behaver..especially non eating!

good luck.. keep me updated..

sue..

Overawed
01-13-2004, 11:37 AM
I had a Bala Shark that jumped about 5-6 times when he was full grown (for the tank he was in) and he fell about 4.5 feet onto a shale tile floor. BAM! He would flop around a bit, I would catch him and wash off all the dustbunnies throw him back into the tank. His eyes would cloud for a few days and sure there were scars, but they healed.

It always freaked me out that he could survive such a fall.

cichgirl
01-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks Sue..
He's currently in a 75 growing out with a female Jack dempsey and a common pleco. He's going into a 125 (if I don't get a new 250) with the dempsey & pleco in a couple months (we'll be moving soon! More room = more tanks set up = more fish!!!).. I can't wait!

I actually run the same filter on 2 other tanks, so I won't need cycle, I just switch out the media after any antibiotic medication. I'm pretty sure Melafix doesn't harm the bacterial filter though - it's just tree oil among other things... It hasn't given my tanks a problem in the past.

Thanks Sue,
Stef

cichgirl
01-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I have a juvie bala that I have in another tank - I was hoping I could grow him to go with the oscar and jd eventually. He's only about 3.5 inches. He hasn't jumped yet, but I keep the hood as secure as I keep the hood for the oscar.

I'm thinking he'll be okay, but it's freaky because falling from that height is like the equivalent of me falling 4 or 5 stories onto a mattress.. That's a scary thought... He definately has his personality back - just a little beat up!

cichgirl
01-14-2004, 08:35 AM
I can' t believe this fish - he's already starting to heal! He doesn't look nearly as bad as he did yesterday. His scraped scales have laid back down flat and his slime coat has returned. So far, (still too soon to tell) no sign of infection. He's eliminating normally :). His deepest scrape will probably scar, but I don't care as long as he lives.

He's his normal social, hungry self, but he's not as solid black as usual.. His (I call them mood rings) stripes vary from bright orange to bright yellow. He looks really pretty because it is against his normal bright orange pattern and a dark brown/black background. His coloring is acting almost like an octopus's-- fading in and out every couple of seconds to minutes. I am not too alarmed by his coloring - I imagine that it will continue until he heals - he's always done that but now its much more frequent. The female jd has completely left him alone - they'll feed together and hang out together, but there has been absolutely no chasing. It's almost like she understands - which I know can't be true. Weird though.

So far, so good. :ok:
Thanks for the support!

strawberrysue000
01-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Oh Im so happy things are going well!!:dance: ..Melafix(I use as well) is a great healer. Not to many fish hobbists do without it..Ive always suggested as thumb of rule..that it should always be kept on hand..for the unexpected!

I would love to be able to keep a tank that size 125+gal your lucky..:rofl: ..my largest is 40gal. ive got a 33gal now as well..
Ive lots of room for one..just no money for one..:rolleyes: ..
ones ive dreamed and looked at in the LFS are like 4000$ plus does include hardward but still...:jaw: ..

So glad hes doing well! love Oscars they are such social fish and great companions I think..

sue..

cichgirl
01-19-2004, 12:03 PM
He's fully recovered!!! Yippee! Funny thing though... Every night around the same time he jumped out of the tank he crams himself under a rock for five minutes. It's like he remembers his trip to the rug. :confused: He never hides other than that - and he never hid before. He always seems to give me more and more reasons to be intrigued by him. Oscars are awesome fish.

strawberrysue000
01-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Oh im so glad..!!..silly fish:rofl: ..had you going...
I love happy endings:ok:

Ive never kept oscars before, ive been told they are companion fish, great personalities..

quick story- A day ago My Mom was over to measure my tank stand(old microwave stand blk..ugly) for my 10gal. She said she could make a skirt to go around it, to cover the black up for it does not go with my decor..:lol: ..well she needed to get in around the back to staple the velcro.( I was not home) So they proceded to move the tank and stand forward a few inches she said!!can you just picture this..!! Didnt know about this move until I got home and could not find my panda cory and sucker loach,they are both babies, adn being small with the tank being moved they got pinned under a rock.I had taken out 3/4 of the decor to find them:nervous: ..they looked bad..I noticed then the velcro and put 2 and 2 together...I as always had Melafix on hand, dosed immedietly and they are doing just fine..
I told my mother the danger of moving a tank full of water and the results far worse that they could have been.
still keeping a watch on the tank...

Sue...

cichgirl
01-19-2004, 01:15 PM
:shock2:
Ugh! Yeah, I witnessed my mother's tank busting a seam when she moved her 20 gallon. It's not pretty & can be quite destructive...

The poor little fishes must have been so scared. Talk about an earthquake! I'm glad to hear that they seem to be recouping. I would keep an eye on the tank.. I've heard that even the weight of 25% water in the tank sloshing around can be too much pressure for the seals. I don't test it.. I won't move a tank with any water in it at all (well, I CAN'T move the big ones :) ). Good luck!

strawberrysue000
01-19-2004, 01:35 PM
..Oh ive been watching the tank like a hawk..but if its going to go at any time..could be to late..have gone all the way around the tank for leaks.(none) its so hard to tell but im hopping for the best..
You should have seen the look on my mothers face when I told her what could have happen in the move..she was stuned:jaw:

:lol: think I realy scared her..I felt bad, for I know she does not have any idea about fish tanks....

just checked on the fish..perfect:ok: ..panda cory and loach back to normal swimming and playing in the current from the filter..:rofl: ..they are so much fun to watch..

keep in touch..