PDA

View Full Version : Help.... New tank - problems

jonhomemade
10-28-2002, 12:17 PM
I started my 38 gal tank a month ago. Iwent to the pet store and the guy tolf me african cichlids was the way to go. I purchased 5 afican cichlids (don't really what kind two have five stripes and they are supposed t mate) I also got a sucker fish and catfish. I had two silver dollars in there two but my tank is very cloudy and it has been. I have tried many diff. water clear stuff and nothing is helping and now i think they havefin rot and treating them for that. I like the fish verymuch and want to learn alot about them. I don't know why the tank is so cloudy is it ovepopulated the cichlids are from 2' - 5'.

Anyting you think I need to know to get going will be of great help.

Rudy
10-28-2002, 12:34 PM
No additives are going to help it right now unfortunately. It sounds to be cycling. Have you tested your water for Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia. I would get a an ammonia magnet and put it in your filter. Do small water changes to keep the ammonia and Nitrites to a minimal level.

Also go down to your lfs and ask them for either some gravel from their tanks, or filter drippings. This will help out a lot.

Let us know how it going The fin rot will tprobably fix itself when your water conditions get better. :)

Cichlid Jeans
10-28-2002, 03:22 PM
I hope you'll follow Rudy's advice about getting some filter material from an established tank at your pet store, and adding it to your filter or tank (or you could keep it in a media bag if the pet store uses different filters than you do). This is necessary to get the complex of poop-eating bacteria in your tank up to speed as soon as possible.

You also need to go back to the pet store to [u:83c5819528]get the proper names of the fish you bought[/u:83c5819528], because different cichlids have radically different care requirements. Once you have the correct names -- get the two-part latin names if you can -- you'll be able to find the information you need on this site and elsewhere.

Here's a great link on healthy tanks to start you off: http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a018.html

Good luck

jonhomemade
10-29-2002, 06:49 AM
Thanx Rudy. went to the pet store and bought a test kit for everything and the ammonia was so high the meter said that it is fatal to all fish. I bought some ace ammonia remover and magnets. The tank is clearing up but when i checke the ammonia level again thi morning it is still deadly and i don;t want t lose any of my fish any suggestions anyone one the best ammonia remover.

Rudy
10-29-2002, 10:05 AM
The best way to bring the ammonia down is by water changes. Do 10-20% per day to bring it down. If your Ammonia is that high I would seriously watch it as it sounds like it is just beginning to cycle. The most imporant thing right now is to keep your fish alive. Changing the water like this will slow down your cycle but will hopefully keep your fish alive.

My suggestion is get a 5 gallon bucket and got to it.

As for the ammonia magnet it only has a capacity to bring down the level a bit. The problem is that the ammonia keeps building everytime it tries to bring it down. I would stick to water changes right now.

Does anybody have a good link for the cycle process?

SGypsyMermaid
10-30-2002, 08:46 PM
hi jon! you should also feed your fish lightly while the tank is cycling.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/bcycling.htm

jonhomemade
11-01-2002, 05:33 PM
Thanx eveyone for the help :D My tank is clear and clean.