PDA

View Full Version : I think my Oscar has Ick!!

Swami
01-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Someone please help! I think my oscar has ick. I noticed it on his left fin, several white spots that were not there yesterday. The last fish I had with ick went crazy and died (a female betta). I don't want this to happen to my buddy. I also noticed him scratching his face on his car, so I think something is definatly wrong.
My tank has a little problem too. It's a 20 gal with the Eclipse system hood and filter. Everything seems to be looking pretty greenish. I do my 25% water changes every other week, and all my ammonia, nitrite, and ph levels are perfect, but something is definatly wrong. Can someone please help???
Mike

Poet8102
01-12-2004, 08:33 PM
First things first. 20gal is way way way way way way way too small for an oscar. I am hoping this oscar is about 3-5" right now, if so you still have about a month before you have to move it to a bigger tank. As for your water change schedule, I find it hard to believe that your water parameters are right considering how messy oscars are. In a tank that size you should be doing those water changes at least every week. As far as the ick goes, raise the temp to about 80 degrees and add about 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for every five gallons. Step up the water changes to about twice a week and keep adding salt at each water change. Add only the amount of salt for the water that you are replacing. That is all the advice that I can give now, hopefully someone else will help.

Swami
01-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the help. My oscar is about 3 1/2 - 4 inches and growing like a weed. We are getting a 75 gal in a month or so to give him a bigger home. The temp is usually 75-82, depending on the weather outside (I live in Key West). I do test the water every week because I have read that oscars are messy, but they have always been very good. I use Cycle with every water change and have not had any problems with dead fish, except when he ate 3 goldfish in a week.
I appreciate the reply though and I will take your advice, hopefully my buddy will live a long and happy life.
Thanks,
Mike

strawberrysue000
01-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Try the salt if you have it on hand right now..but I would advise you should get Ick cure..instead.
Oscars dont need a temp over 80.. and make sure you do raise it to aleast 82 or so. for the Ick.
3 stages- growth on the fish
Cyst- spent on the bottom of the tank and finally free swimming..this is where Ick is most infectious..where the meds will do there job you ahve about 75 hrs before it starts the cycle again.
your algae problem, heres a bit of info you might want to know!

there are 2 types of algae * good and *bad. good is present in small quantities. Good water quality and is easily kept in check by algae eating fish...this algae is natural..a container with water/nutrients and a light source.
Bad- is an indicator of bad water quality or is a type of algae that tends to take over a tank and ruin what an aquarist is trying to achieve.
Algae spores are everywhere and will always be present in aquariums unless drastic measures are taken. A proper setup Ultravoilet sterilizer will kill them in the water and prevent them from growing a toehold.
Green Uncellular Algae will turn green fast this is called *Algae bloom and is caused by too much light like direct sunlight.
An algae bloom can be removed by filtering with Micron cartridges or diatrum filters.( your LFS)
Blue green slim Algae, slimy sheets spread rapitly over almost everything and usually indicates poor water conditions..and is seen in tanks with low Nitrates..
A tank with this much algae is due to poor water conditions. it is possible you have read your tests wrong??
The water is the most important to a fish without that it will lead to sick fish,, yours being Ick(which I believe is always present in a tank just waiting to nail the host) and if left untreated will lead to secondary infections..such as fin and tail rot, fugus,loss of appitite,clapped fins etc..then fish loss
:nervous: ..

sue..
My electric blue male gonna be a daddy soon..fem in hiding..

strawberrysue000
01-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Sry one more thing I wanted to say..How long in a day do you leave you tank light on..8 hrs is good, some days 10 tops..this will keep the algae growth down as well.