PDA

View Full Version : my oscars done this twice now

Watcher
01-10-2004, 07:18 AM
he is usually very dark with distinct marks and at only about 5 inches his eye spot is already bright and colorfull. i checked on the tank this morning and all his color was gone and then i turned the light on and he brightened back up. he is acting normal and all that but i am pretty paranoid cause he's my buddy.
is it just something that they do at night since they are essentially sleeping or resting or relaxed or something like that?

thanks all. you're the experts.

cichgirl
01-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Oscars can be like mood rings. Mine will get bright yellow/rusty colored stripes when he's aggravated, and they come and go within seconds. It's really cool to watch, actually, and it's normal.

Watcher
01-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by cichgirl
Oscars can be like mood rings. Mine will get bright yellow/rusty colored stripes when he's aggravated, and they come and go within seconds. It's really cool to watch, actually, and it's normal.

thanks for telling me that cause he just did it again

the209jungalist
01-21-2004, 11:29 PM
My tiger is usually kinda faded to say, but he changes back and forth. My albino well she actually has developed dark spots on her and I never really noticed anything before but when I put a huge rescue fish in my tank her spots got darker.

On a funny note have you watched your buddy wake up in the morning? Belle my larger one I swear I thought it took me a long time to wake up in the morning but man ... she takes forever!!!

From turning on the tank light and seeing her laying on her side propped between a plant and the glass, it takes her like 10 minutes to wake up and stop swimming on her side. I think it is hilarious!

Oscar
03-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Damn, thank god, thought I was hallucinating!!
My little guys get dark and lighter all the time!!
Thought they were sick for a while, but then they
have nice dark colour again.

Avie
03-03-2004, 08:08 AM
My Oscars changed colors more when they were younger, but their dark parts still go from black to olive green.
Some parts will stay black and their patterns change.
I think it coincides with their moods and also works as camouflage in the wild.
I also love how they 'talk' with their dorsal fin. It spikes up and smooths down when they move and communicate with eachother and with me.
They are such beautiful fish! :D

Oscar
03-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Agreed!! Got some nice pics of mine, still trying to figure out how to show them LOL

Avie
03-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Hey if you get some pics uploaded, Oscar, I would love to see. :)

My biggest oscar took her final victim last night. :( My albino is dead. This brings my tank total to: 1 tiger oscar, 2 tinfoil barbs, and 1 pleco. I think in 55 gals the 4 of them can live comfortably for a while.

I hope to get some new pics as soon as I can get my tank looking good again.

http://www.angelfire.com/space/avieworlds/white1.JPG
In memory of my lovely white oscar who had no name.

I think he actually died from those ulcers in his gills, but the larger oscar picked on him as well. She has killed FOUR other equal sized oscars now. I picked the bad ass fish lol.

Oscar
03-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Sorry about your Oscar Avie was great looking!! I seen one at the pet shop just like that, about 4" I think, as soon as I get the pics uploaded, I will show you the 2 I have, there quite the entertainers. LOL I can email them to you if ya want. Its easier for me.

the209jungalist
03-04-2004, 07:38 PM
No way you have to put them up so we can all see!:D

Avie, sorry to hear about your albino.

Oscar
03-07-2004, 09:01 AM
My files are way to big, LOL never resized them, I tried to download the program to upload them but nothing happened, I dont seem to have enough time anymore, now that my wedding is finished, Yesterday actually. :dance: :party: I can get some stuff done. :D

Avie
03-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Your wedding? Congrats! :D

the209jungalist
03-10-2004, 02:12 AM
Woo Hoo Oscar and um Mr. or Mrs. Oscar!!! :party: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Oscar
03-10-2004, 04:25 PM
LOL she would be Mrs Oscar!! :ok:
Thanks Avie and the209jungalist,
It was great, reception was at the Manderin all you can eat buffet, the guests were carted out on wheel barrels they were so stuffed!! :razz: