PDA

View Full Version : Argh...my cichlids dying 1 by 1...

hwzcoolboy
01-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi everyone ... do u know how to prevent cichlids from dying easily?

I have put filter and feed them regularly...
As i am living in Singapore so the tap water have lots of cloride content so i put anti cloride...

i was wondering is it lack of hiding space ? or lack of swimming space causing cichlid to die ??

Coz some of it juz get slower and slower as days goes by and gradually i got to remove their carcass... they would like juz and swim lesser and lesser...

Need help urgently !!!

cichgirl
01-09-2004, 10:23 AM
What size tank? How many fish? What kind of filtration? What is your ph? Temperature? Ammonia? Nitrite? Nitrate? Are you using aquarium salt? If you can answer these questions, we will be able to help you better...

hwzcoolboy
01-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by cichgirl
What size tank? How many fish? What kind of filtration? What is your ph? Temperature? Ammonia? Nitrite? Nitrate? Are you using aquarium salt? If you can answer these questions, we will be able to help you better...

Sorry i am juz doing it not in a professional way. Just start rearing for fun....tank is mini...i know its not good...40cm length onli.

Temp is 25 degress or so... Water i perfect. No aquarium salt... pure fresh water with anti chloride contents.

cichgirl
01-09-2004, 12:01 PM
They need salt. It helps their gills absorb oxygen (helps them breathe).

Testing the water for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is not a professional thing to do. It's part of us wanting to provide the best and healthiest environment for our fish that we can. That is what keeps them alive. If you don't learn about & maintain their requirements to survive, they will die. Sorry to be so blunt.

hwzcoolboy
01-09-2004, 09:03 PM
i dun have any 30 gallons or wat...
Singapore measured tanks according to the length.
So u guys really used big tanks ?

basic things like water filter, pump and anti chloride is done.

If one gonna use huge tanks it will cost over hundreds of bucks is it ?

Yeah one more...haha....i keep very small lobster with them.

I think my tank is too small 40cm

hwzcoolboy
01-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Juz went to nearby shop to get some crystal salt for freshwater fish.... $1

And a piece of stupid wood plank by "fiveplan" $2

Expensive piece of underwater wood...for the fish to hide.

I rear cichlids with a pair of mini 2" rainbow shark(catfish)

davoz
01-10-2004, 07:54 AM
If the tank is 40cm thats about 16in long so its probably a 10g tank. What type of cichlids are they? Do you know theire common name? A tank your size is to small for most cichlids unless its one of the dwarf species that grow to 3-5cm and most rift lake africans grow to 13cm. Other than that you probably have too many fish and they are poluting the water thus dying.

hwzcoolboy
01-10-2004, 10:02 AM
feel like destroy other fishes...
I keeping
1 * electric blue ahli
1 * yellow lab
1* blue stripped dunno wat
1* unknown...attached pic...dunno wat too..
all cichlids are 2" around there...

Some other fishes...

http://community.webshots.com/album/107645867AEYkqC is the webbie

bmxboy119
01-10-2004, 11:31 PM
If i were I would hold off on buying ne new cichlids and saving up for a bigger tank. How sbout selling your lobster. And tanks in america re relitively cheap. In Southern California you can buy a 10 gallon tank (no stand for) for $10. You can buy a 80gallon w/stand and lights for $350. And an 80 gallon tank can house about 15 full grown cichlids.

hwzcoolboy
01-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by bmxboy119
If i were I would hold off on buying ne new cichlids and saving up for a bigger tank. How sbout selling your lobster. And tanks in america re relitively cheap. In Southern California you can buy a 10 gallon tank (no stand for) for $10. You can buy a 80gallon w/stand and lights for $350. And an 80 gallon tank can house about 15 full grown cichlids.

US$350 tank considered cheap ?!!! my gosh....faint...

Haha....i dunno...but a full set up with filter and light 4 feet tank cost about $100....

hwzcoolboy
01-11-2004, 08:51 AM
cichlids cost about $1 - 2 each...so always feel lie buying...haha

hwzcoolboy
01-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by bmxboy119

Lobster i bought it for $0.80....how can i sell it ??? $0.20 ??

Hahaha...

hwzcoolboy
01-11-2004, 09:11 AM
With the aquarium salt...now it looks like those fish are pretty stabilized.

strawberrysue000
01-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Im not liking this much at all!!:jaw: ..you are way over stocked !

You dont seem to be willing to go bigger in tank size, because of cost! then you should not have bought fish of that breed!..your 10gal will get you 4-5 months with constant water and fiter,test maintance!!
Concider yourself lucky if you dont lose any more fish due to over stock
Yes cichlids NEED hiding spots and if they dont they are not comfotable at all! and will more than likly fight or get sick!
those fish will grow fast!!!!! my electric blue is 5-6 inches and is only a yr old!
a hobby like this includes proper weekly maintance,and if you do not do this..I see it as being cruel!!!! and wrong on your part!.

take back those fish and get fish that are appriate for the tank size you have!

this makes me very angry:mad:

strawberrysue000
01-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Oh, one more thing that pic..fish on the side of the tank you dont know what it is?..its called a pleco(bottom cleaner)...great fish to have and looking at that fish, he is way to big for the tank..they grow 13-14 inches..and he is a big waste producer ..meanning that his waste alone an a daily basis will kill your tank if not cleaned reguraly..just for fun buy a Ammonia kit and do the test to see where your ammonias are...since this is just for fun to you!I bet it way high! when did you change your water last..and tell me has your tank been cycled at all?

hwzcoolboy
01-11-2004, 06:42 PM
I do change my tank water almost twice a week. Ammonia kit ah?
Ok i do take a look at my nearby shops. thanks.

Getting a bigger tank at night...haha...finally...

hwzcoolboy
01-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by strawberrysue000
Im not liking this much at all!!:jaw: ..you are way over stocked !

You dont seem to be willing to go bigger in tank size, because of cost! then you should not have bought fish of that breed!..your 10gal will get you 4-5 months with constant water and fiter,test maintance!!
Concider yourself lucky if you dont lose any more fish due to over stock
Yes cichlids NEED hiding spots and if they dont they are not comfotable at all! and will more than likly fight or get sick!
those fish will grow fast!!!!! my electric blue is 5-6 inches and is only a yr old!
a hobby like this includes proper weekly maintance,and if you do not do this..I see it as being cruel!!!! and wrong on your part!.

take back those fish and get fish that are appriate for the tank size you have!

this makes me very angry:mad:

I am sorry sue...dun get over agitated...firstly, i dunno wats cichlids at all ... it juz began to get more popular in the aquarium.
In fact, i am getting a bigger tank tonight juz for the cichlids cause i now wanted to keep cichlids onli but not other fish after learning more about it from you guys.

Thanks.

TheThinkingFish
01-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Wow.. sounds like a rough start... Ummm... Ok.. First, the fish in the pic, if you are talking about the blue striped one behind, that looks like a type of peacock to me (aulonocara). They also get rather large, about 15cm.

Next, you are way overstocked. You need a bigger tank if you want to keep African Cichlids. They are very special fish, and have very specific care requirements. They need hard, alkaline water which means do not use any driftwood or plants. Also, they are agressive fish and will kill eachother if not given enough space or enough hiding places. So... buy a bigger tank or trade in your fish. In fact, I might trade them in and start over.

It will cost you a lot of money to get started up, but if you do it right, it should be rather inexpensive from then on out. I would buy the biggest tank you can possibly afford and then look at information on stocking african rift lake cichlids to see home many you can keep. There is lots of information avalible in English on keeping ciclids. Here is a good website that will tell what you should read before get started. www.cichlidrecipe.com.

Also, you should know from an ethical standpoint, I do agree with Sue. I do not consider fish disposable pets. If you are going to keep them, you have a responsibility to keep them alive. I'm not upset, because I believe that you may not have known what you were getting into. Just make sure you get some advice on how to keep your fish.

With regard to water chemistry, I do not worry about checking it as much as others do. Changing your water chemistry consistently can be just as hazardous as not messing with it. Most likely, if you put the right type of material (substrate(gravel), rocks, plants) in your tank, you will more often than not create the proper chemistry. For rift lake cichlids this more than likely means a barren moonscape. Still, it is more important to have clean water before you have the proper pH or hardness. No fish is going to do well if its water is not clean. Once you have kept fish long enough, you can know if you need a water change just by smelling your water. If it smells like Ammonia from more that 15 cm away, you need a water change.

Hope you can get your tank straigtemed out, and I hope your fish can endure the time it takes you to do it. Don't give up! We all make mistakes. We have all lost fish. I remember forgeting to nutralize the chlorine in my water once before changing it. I lost four fish that day. Its a learning process... the important part is to keep learning.

hwzcoolboy
01-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Yeah i juz started keeping small fish a month ago.

Didnt know anything about aquarium

Juz bought aquarium salt...

if u say do not put plants or wat...but i see many guys down here do decorate their tank with plants and all sort of driftwood

hey i juz found a bigger tank ! someone juz discard a 24" tank.

strawberrysue000
01-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Sorry for being so hard on you,but it seems you went right into this with no knowledge what so ever!thats what bothered me!
You said you started with small fish,well those small fish will grow,you should have found out BEFORE you puchased the fish(asking) how big they get. Some fish stores know nothing as well,so its up to the hobbyist to find this info.
Secondly common sence is helpful as well..but I am sorry.:rolleyes: ..even I have lost fish! Yes we all learn from experience..Ive kept fish for many yrs..fresh and salt..And I have encountered problems..
Most cichlids are hardy fish, can withstand high temps and different water conditions for some part, but to long will lead to your fish getting sick and die,if not treated.
Water conditions would have to be the upmost importance for ANY fish, ( I dont change my water every other day) nor do I test it constantly, but in your case if that amount of fish kept in a small area, growing, your water conditions will go up and down constantly, and needed extra care.thats what I was saying in my last post!

glad to hear you have a bigger tank coming:ok: When you are at the Fish Store ask for aome advise on test kits..I think you should buy one each week or so..Ammonia test, Nitrite.Nitrate,PH.
Also if possible get a med called Melafix it great for fish in distress.
Its used for fish cuts,abrasions,fin bites,non eating..etc..this is used to help the fish get better if hurt or sick. In your case there could be alot of fighting going on.
About the decor of the tank- stay away from driftwood it will cloud your tank and cichlids dont need it..they like alot of rock slate, stacked to hide in if they have no hiding spots they will be stressed!..Plants well 1 or 2 in your case is ok in the 10gal if you do move up a few more..NO REAL plants you will only be wasting your money Cichlids will eat the and uproot them very fast. Maybe these guys are not keeping cichlids in their tanks..My plants are silk and only a few just to fill spots.

hope this does help you out! and again im sry..
You can find alot of info on the web here...check out this site..www.fishprofiles.com lots of pics and info on keeping cihlids as well..
Sue...

hwzcoolboy
01-12-2004, 09:33 AM
thanks ! i have got a bigger tank today and its free !!! yuppy

I went to picked up lots of big piece rocks by the seaside and granites and marble...basically now cleaning it for days b4 using it.

Picked up a big packet of sands and cleaning it over 15 times to make sure the sand is 100% clean.. now i can see even if the sand is messed up intentionally the water is still clear... but i got to deep it in the new tank for a day b4 i transfer all the fish away.... Again aquarium salt is there to disinfect the water and make sure its a clean living environment.

Then i was lucky enough someone passed me a bag full of plastic aquarium plants !! wow u know a tiny piece of fake plants can cost $2... saved some cash...

Bought a overhead filter for the new tank

http://www.dolphinpumps.com/newpage3.htm

thanks for ur tips. Getting Ammonia remover soon US$2-3 for a big packet...kinda ex...

strawberrysue000
01-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Hmmmm Good luck.. :)..