PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

thomas
10-27-2002, 01:23 AM
I have a 55 gallon tank with the normal hood and light setup. Although I just got this tank this summer, this tank is probably 5-10 yrs old and the lights I have been using were the ones that were in the hoods when I got the tank. I noticed that there were two new bulbs in the box of supplies that were given to me with the tank. So I decided to try the new bulbs out to see if they were any brighter. The new bulbs were still in the sleeves and they are Aqua-glo 15W. They appear to be the same as what I took out, but when I put them in and turned them on, they look like they put off a blue light. Everything in the tank has a blue tint to it now. It's kinda cool, but I don't think I will keep them in there permenantly. I'm gonna try to get some 50/50's real soon, if I can talk my wife into it.

MalawiMayhem
11-13-2002, 02:45 AM
Yeah, most flourescent lights have a usefull life limited to 6-12 months depending on usage.....then the spectrum they are deigned to pump out is no longer valid/accurate even though they still appear to work fine.

Don't know about unused lights though...I assume they can be stored with no problems.