PDA

View Full Version : Basic Cichlid Maintenance

Chick8198
01-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Please settle an argument for me:

In talking to a friend of mine, he mentioned that he did a water change on his cichlid tank last night for the first time in at least two years.

He has a 20 gallon tank with a single red devil in it. He says that with fish, it is very easy to tell when they are not feeling well, and that his fish looks fine. He also says that since the fish is 5 years old (it used to be in a community tank with other fish, but he claims that it is prone to diseases and its illnesses killed all the other fish) it must be fine.

Keeping S. Africans myself, I told him that there is a good chance that levels of harmful chemicals and solids were building up in his tank. He says the filtration and the small amount of food negate the need for water changes, and that he would know by looking at the fish if anything was wrong.

Am I overreacting? He is no longer talking to me because he says I am attacking him for his fishkeeping practices...help!

Overawed
01-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Hrmmm... sorry he is being a butt head. I don't see how there could be water in the tank after 2 years of being ignored. Water evaporates, 20 gallons would be gone in about 3-4 months, so he had to add water to the tank.

Also, that tank is much to small for a five year old Red Devil. That fish needs a 100g.

So no, you are not over-reacting.

cichgirl
01-08-2004, 12:33 PM
You are not over reacting. If he's not feeding him enough he'll stunt him. Water changes are the only way to remove nitrates. That fish has no business in a 20g. What he said about the illness is a bunch of bull. The devil probably stressed out the community, and they likely died as a result of disease from stress or injury.

He obviously doesn't know anything about his fish. He would have taken the time to read about it. If he's not talking to you, he probably doesn't care. He's lucky the fish survived - the fish isn't so lucky. Good for you for trying to talk sense.

KillerBuzz
01-08-2004, 12:45 PM
I have never felt more sorry for a fish. I think your next battle should be to try and convince your friend to donate the fish to you as it sounds like you are much more capable. The previous two posters couldn't have said it any better, so I'm done ranting.

- Good luck

Chick8198
01-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks! I feel extremely vindicated now. Which probably won't change the outcome of the convo, but at least I feel smart.

And since I'm on a roll, here's a picture of my 90 s.American tank. Not sure if I attached it correctly, but oh well.

Overawed
01-08-2004, 04:20 PM
nice shot there. Go over to the cichlid galleries and start you own gallery! Hope to see more!