PDA

View Full Version : I may have gotten a little carried away?

crazyfishlady
01-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Little help!

I'm thinking I may have overstocked my tank a little bit.
If anyone thinks yes, please let me know what is the min. I would need to take to my LFS to get under control.

120 gal.

1 Chocolate
2 Nicaraguense
3 Severum 2 gold, 1 turquoise
1 Electric Blue JD

Thinking about adding a Pleco. Also think about 4 Rosy Barbs from another tank for dithers. (Hidden Question: Would the barbs make decent dithers? They are the long fin variety.)

For right now the biggest fish in the tank is the Choc. He's about 6". Smallest is the JD at about 2.5" (Read here they only get to 6).

The Pleco, if she goes in is 9".
Thanks

Cichlid_Fan
01-07-2004, 09:24 PM
The severum are the least aggressive on that list.

If you get rid of those you'd be ok with the rest.

I know regular bards are good, but not sure on the ornamental ones. They are tail nippers.

Matt

cichgirl
01-08-2004, 08:48 AM
I agree with Cichlid Fan. If you follow his advice, you can get a pleco. The rosy barbs tend to be a little slower than regular tinfoil barbs or tiger barbs, they should be fine if they don't get caught.

crazyfishlady
01-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I do love those little severums tho.
I promised the family that I wouldn't but I'm gonna have to get another tank.
I can justify it by getting a really big one & taking down a smaller one & combining right? same number of tanks....7...
All I can say is I did not give myself the name crazy fish lady. Got it from someone who knows me.

Cichlid_Fan
01-10-2004, 06:42 PM
I'd take those severums off yer hands, but I live in CT.:(

Rex Karr
01-10-2004, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't remove the Severums.

All of your cichlids are mildy aggressive at best.

The Chocolate will reach 10-11", the Nics will reach 6-10", the Severums 8-10", and the Blue Dempsey 8-9". Personally I wouldn't even think twice about stocking a new 125g with these fish.

Cichlid Fan, have you kept Nics, Chocolates and Blue Dempsey's before? Severums are comparable to all but the Blue Demspey's which are usually even less aggressive.

Cichlid_Fan
01-10-2004, 10:30 PM
In my experience with JD's and Severums, JD's are much more aggressive then any Severum I have owned. The meanest on the list being the chocolate. If we want to get specific, the NIC could be the least aggressive of that list. I am answering a question from experience which most people do here.

The original question was what should she remove, not what is your opinion on stocking a 125. You suggest not removing the Severums, but you wouldn't even think of stocking a 125 with these fish. What was the point of that? I would have expected a different response from a moderator. That's why people ask questions here, for information and advice, not to be ribbed by moderators on how they have made a bad decision about fish choices. Help her decide what to take out, that's what she asked.

Matt

crazyfishlady
01-11-2004, 12:18 PM
In defense of Rex:
Cichlid fan reread the post. He said he wouldn't think twice about doing it. That gives me a thumbs up which I appreciate. Thanks for the response it takes a load off my mind.
Right now the blue dempsey is the least aggressive, but he is also the smallest. (Fortunately he's also pretty fast & I've provided hiding spots that only he can fit into.)
Hopefully he will become better able to stand his ground as he grows.

I'm hopin

Rex Karr
01-11-2004, 03:39 PM
As CRL already pointed out, I was giving her a thumbs up, not ribbing her.

Also, she said she has a Blue Dempey, not a Jack Dempsey. Blue Dempsey's being a mutation of the Jack Dempsey are much milder in temperment (not that I would really consider a Jack to be overly aggressive).

Cichlid_Fan
01-11-2004, 04:56 PM
I reread the post. Sorry for the outburst.

Matt

Rex Karr
01-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Thats ok.