PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ram popped eyes

Rocarth
01-07-2004, 10:31 AM
My blue ram eyes have popped out so to say, but it lacks some of the other tall tale signs of the pop eye disease like the cloudy white. I am wondering if anyone can help me with this.

strawberrysue000
01-07-2004, 11:01 AM
..He has Popeye!..How long has this tank been up and running?
What are your Ammonia levels, Nitrite, Nitrate? when was the last time you did a water change?
how many fish do you have?
If you have Melafix dose right a way! this is not from any fight he might have been in.
I would move him to a hospital tank and if you can get it(not sure where your located) use Mardel product..Maracyn 2, use exactly as directed and always complete doseage. even if things are looking better.you would stop using Melafix at this point.
I need to know how are the other fish..and signs on them..puffy white spots..red on the gills ? we need to know cause maybe the whole tank should be done.

What appears to be the same disease on a different fish, or on the same fish on two different days, may not be the same affliction! Antibiotics can be affective against one and not the other.
Meanning that one fish has Popeye another might have caught parasite or fungus....thats why its important to know your water quality..
Take action right away! ( Melafix if its on hand) then move him/her to hospital. keep an eye on other fish..

Rocarth
01-07-2004, 11:08 AM
may tank as been running for about almost two years, I have 3 angelfish, 1 dwarf gourami, 4 danios, 3 sepha tetras, 1 australian rainbow and a normal pleco in a fotry gallon. Changed the water two weeks ago. All the other fish are fine looking, no differnces.

Unfortunatly the nearest pet shop doesn't house a great selection of aquarium medication

strawberrysue000
01-07-2004, 11:28 AM
thats quite the stock!..are any of them new to the tank within maybe a month?
I feel your Ammonia levels are high conciding the amount of fish..
Have you know test kits? i need your nitrites levels..

With the stock in that tank I would do a water change evey week 25-35%and add cycle evey time.
Popeye will get worse! may get cloudy, hazy..fins get swollen fish gets slugish..like what was said in my last post..
what appears to be the same disease on different fish, or on the same fish on 2 different days, may not be the same affliction!!
i know that sounds confusing!!

so you have no meds at all?..OK well start with a 30% water change NOW! If the other fish seem fine,,Good you want to keep the water condition at its best, so a secondary infection does not set in..and you have to get meds..where exactly are you?..im in Ontario as well..stay on line get back to me pls..Sue..

SGypsyMermaid
01-07-2004, 11:41 AM
popeye is often associated with poor water quality. i think that you should increase the frequency of your water changes.

strawberrysue000
01-07-2004, 11:41 AM
..sry for the spelling errors..:rolleyes: ..typing fast here..and not that good yet..:lol: ..

sometimes water good conditions are all a fish needs to get better!..poor water conditions in a stocked tank your looking for trouble..

you need Antibiotics right away..you should always buy and keep,Melafix on hand it can treat and stabilize conditions so you can have time to diagnose the problem and then treat properly.

Rocarth
01-07-2004, 02:04 PM
To answer your question Strawberry I live in stratford with only one pet store.

My last edition was the tetras about two and a half months ago. I am currently changing the water and I will not be able to get any medication for my fish until tomorrow or friday to due to weather.

SGypsyMermaid
01-07-2004, 02:10 PM
if you have aquarium salt, add 1 tblsp per 5 gallons of tank water...do another water change tomorrow and the next day. the salt is a tonic, as is the fresh water...might make him strong enough to fight it off on his own.

Rocarth
01-07-2004, 02:26 PM
thanks for the help I just finish my water change and already he starting to become more like his oldself, attitude wise that is. He back trying to win his little war with my gourami over the bottom of the tank. The poor gourami just likes swimming up and down from the top to the bottom. I will get the meds as soon as possible

strawberrysue000
01-08-2004, 12:06 AM
..Glad to hear hes up and moving, If nothing else do the water changes like eveyday 25% no more and around the same time of day. check water parm as well ( N and N PH..etc)
If after a day or so hes doing well, then dont medicate! like Mermaid said he could fight it off on his own..But, please keep some kind of med on hand. I know it can be expensive but worht it.
Melafix I swear by!! get it. I dont like to treat any affliction until I know for sure what it is. Melafix will bide you time if you need someting stronger, and alot of times fight the Malady on its own.
Melafix is also easy on the bio fiteration in the tank.

keep us posted on how hes doing!!

sue..