PDA

View Full Version : need tips on tank resealing

jerseymike
10-24-2002, 09:50 PM
I just recieved another 55g tank. The tank was built in 1989 and looks like it needs resealing. I've never done this before, any tips? I've srubbed down the tank and removed the silicone from from one glass panel. Should I reseal one panel at a time? Do I need to prepare the glass with a primer or anything? Also, I plan to keep this tank in the garage and I am concerned with the summer temperatures(between 85-95degrees at the hottest in late july/august); what is the max temperature that cichlids can tolerate??? The winter temp never goes below 60;(200 watt heater should be ok). Any commments would be welcome, thank you.

SGypsyMermaid
10-25-2002, 04:16 AM
welcome jerseymike! :) you need to talk to scotty about re-sealing tips. prolonged temps of over 87 degrees are likely to kill your fish--can you cool the garage off,say with fans when the temps are very high?

Scotty
10-25-2002, 05:34 AM
Hey Jerseymike 8) Tank re-sealing 101:

1- Remove "all" the old silicone, really scrape it good to be sure there's no thin film left on the glass.

2- Firmly wipe down the glass with Isoprophyl (rubbing) alcohol. Do this a second time about an hour before you re-seal. This will clean, and evaporate all the moisture from the glass. When possible, I like to re-seal tanks on a dry, sunny day.

3- Dont scrimp on the silicone. For a 55, get the big tube that fits in a caulk gun. The big one is still less than $10 and will make the job much less messy. Apply a smooth bead about as thick as your pinky, first around the bottom, then up the sides.

4- Use a plastic spoon to put a professional, concave edge on the silicone. Use the back of the spoon and run it smoothly over all the beads.

5- The spoon wiil create a bead that extends out about 1/2" from the corners. When it is fully dry, you can use a straight edge and a razor to trim that back to about 1/4" on the two sides that show in front. Just make a single straight cut,and peel the excess off like a piece of string. I like to leave the other seams thick. Hey, hope this helps.....Scott 8)

jerseymike
10-25-2002, 04:56 PM
thanks scotty for the advise/I like the spoon idea,I'm sure that will work well. I'll let you know how I do. thanks again, jerseymike