PDA

View Full Version : pregnant ciclid??

Engloid
12-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Well, I just got these fish last week, and suddenly one seems to have either eaten way too much, or is pregnant.

Here's a pic I took about 3 days ago:

http://www.cichlidforums.com/postimages/2003-12-29/22076-001.jpg

Now, the pics from tonight...
I just noticed this tonight, and I watch the fish daily. I don't think that it was like this (or as big) yesterday.

This is a pretty accurate pic of the orange color.
http://www.cichlidforums.com/postimages/2003-12-29/22076-002.jpg

This pic shows the bulge a bit better also. This area looks a bit darker than it did before.
http://www.cichlidforums.com/postimages/2003-12-29/22076-003.jpg

This fish isn't but about 2" long. Could it be pregnant? This one and the other in the tank both seem healthy, and active, and eat well.

SGypsyMermaid
12-29-2003, 11:20 PM
malawi cichlids carry their fertilized eggs in their mouths...if she were holding fertilized eggs or fry, she would have a big bulge under her chin. it could be just that she caught a lot of the food, that's she's got a lot of eggs produced in preparation for spawning, or it could be 'bloat'. i think that she just hogged up a lot of food. keep an eye on her...i would let the fish fast for a day(it's good for them to fast sometimes), then see how her belly looks.

Engloid
12-29-2003, 11:32 PM
First off, I don't even know if it's a female or not. Maybe you know by the pics. Is that the case?

And is it possible that it's eggs with the fish being so small?

And would this have become noticable so quickly?

thanks

SGypsyMermaid
12-29-2003, 11:35 PM
i don't know the size of the fish and i don't know whether it's a male or a female...my best guess is that she/he overate.

Engloid
12-30-2003, 12:05 AM
I have noticed that it seems to always be hungry.
I also have discovered my heater has gone bad. The water was above 86 (off the scale) and the heater is on as low as it goes. I'm thinking that it's just staying on all the time. I guess I'll leave it in till the water warms up a little more (did a water change) and then take it out before it gets too hot again.

I am new to ciclids. Ideal temp should be around 76-78, correct?

SGypsyMermaid
12-30-2003, 12:10 AM
fish always act hungry unless they are sick. elevated temps would speed up the fish's metabolism and cause it to burn up the food faster. yes, in my opinion, 76-78 degrees is a good temp.

Engloid
12-30-2003, 12:16 AM
Where can I find info about breeding, and what conditions are best for breeding? I figure it would be neat to have them breed (if I have a m/fm pair).

thanks for your help.

SGypsyMermaid
12-30-2003, 12:23 AM
the fish will breed readily enough, but you really need to get some general info on keeping these fish. you can start by reading the threads in this forum. use this site's search function and key in 'spawning', 'breeding', etc. and you will find a lot of info. good luck and enjoy the forums.:)

Engloid
12-30-2003, 12:26 AM
will do. I need to get over my inherent fear of searches. I don't mind it on yahoo and stuff, but I never have good luck figuring out the searches on message forums.

thanks.

punman
01-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Just type in a word or phrase at the top where it says quick search.

SGypsyMermaid
01-01-2004, 06:14 PM
this search engine seems to work better with a single word as opposed to a phrase.

i take that back...i had that experience with the plain 'search' button; i've just tried the 'quick search' for the first time and it worked with the phrase 'spawning dance'.