PDA

View Full Version : filstar xp3..anything bad to say about it

2klude
12-28-2003, 07:37 AM
well i am going to be buying my first canister filter. i have decided to go with a filstar xp3. i have only read good things about this filter. anything bad about it.

also what does priming mean.

ticman
12-28-2003, 10:48 AM
I have a filstar xp3 on my 55 gal tank. Had it for about 3 years and no problems. Easy to maintain. I have added an Acuuclear 300 too. After reading the many posts in here and listening to people's comments I think the HOB might be the easier way to go. They are certainly easier to access and maintain even though the Filstar is not that bad.

Filstar replacement media is quite expensive even if you buy online--but here again I am finding that carbon may not be necessary and if so, the sponges and ceramic rings on Filstar really don't need to be replaced very often if at all.

Good luck,

Mike

ticman
12-28-2003, 10:50 AM
oops sorry that was Aquaclear 300 duh

SGypsyMermaid
12-28-2003, 03:28 PM
"priming" means getting the filter started...i hope that your filstar is self-priming...that saves a lot of aggravation.

2klude
12-28-2003, 07:15 PM
i am 99% sure it is. all the reviews i have read said that it is self priming. when power goes out the filters just start up again. i guess that means they are self priming right.

SGypsyMermaid
12-28-2003, 11:29 PM
yes, that is also self-priming, but what i meant was, you don't have to use a squeeze bulb(or suck on the hose--yeccchh!!) to start the filter the first time, or after maintenance. for instance, the fluval 404 has a handle that you pump a few times to start the siphon.

2klude
12-29-2003, 11:18 AM
o i see what u mean now. when i was reading personal reviews about this filter alot of people said that it starts right up after power outages. thats the main reason i really liked this filter.

matt1066
12-31-2003, 05:04 PM
I have done a lot a research on cannisters, my next buy will be a Viaaqua 750. I would get the Eheim extra large cannister that pumps 500 g/h, but it is a bit pricey for me.

Let us know how you like the Filstar, I would love to hear your opinion.

Mbuniac
12-31-2003, 08:40 PM
I have 3 XP3's and have never had any trouble with them. I put an inline ultraviolet sterilizer with one of them and it makes it harder to start the syphon. After a little bit of experimentation I learned a different method and it works fine. Easy to clean and lots of different types of media available. You can even use media frome some of the other manuf. like Ehiem. IMHO

2klude
01-01-2004, 12:21 AM
well i got the xp3 today in the mail. its a very nice canister filter. i really like the way it was designed. i wont have it setup for awhile. i still have to build a stand and canopy. my 72gal is in the spot i want to set up my new 135gal. i am going to have alot of work infront of me. peace

dokjones
01-04-2004, 02:49 PM
I had a XP3 for awhile and I hated it. It's not self-priming and the whole setup I didnt like. I switched to a Eheim 22229 Pro. Now that is a filter, may be more but well worth it.:dance:

matt1066
01-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Hey docjones,

The 2229 is rated at 145 g/h, can I assume you are using it for bio/chemical filtration only? Do you find it noisey? What size tank do you have it on?, and finally, what are you using for mechanical filtration?

I am thinking of getting the 2260, what is your opinion?

Thats all for now.

Matthew

dokjones
01-06-2004, 05:39 PM
I have a 125g and I do use a Magnum 350 as well and havenet had any problems. The Ehiem isnt noise and nether is the magnum. As for the 2260 Im not sure about it but if Eheim makes it you cant go wrong in my view.

elimjohnson
01-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Hey, sorry for the late reply but i have some good information about the Filstar XP series. This may be a bit lengthy but it is well worth it so hang in there.

First, there are two different versions of this series and both of them are still out there being sold (IF YOU RECENTLY BOUGHT ONE OF THE OLD VERSION GET YOUR MONEY BACK). You need to make sure that you get the newest ("advanced") version of any one of the models. You can distinguish between these two easily a couple ways. The first way to tell is by the box. The old version was an off colored blue/purple with some yellow on it and a big picture of the filter. The new version is a white and sea blue color with a big picture of the filter but some red in the upper left hand corner and displays the media and hoses in a small circle towards the bottom right. The second way to tell is by the output and intake colors. The rigid pieces of the old version are all black...the rigid pieces of the new ("advanced") version have both black and blue/gray pieces. This should be more than enough to make sure you get the right one. Bigalsonline.com carries these for the cheapest prices and are the newest version.

The original versions of this filter are flawed because of shipping issues, do not have all the options and are not self-priming.

Yes the newest version is self-priming with only a little bit of help. Here is how you do it, just add about 8 ounces or so of water into the tube, close the cap on the tube, wait two minutes or so to drain into the motor and then plug it in. It will then prime itself the rest of the way. THATS IT! It also has many new features including a flow control ball valve in the rigid tubing that allows you to adjust the gph based on the type of fish you have or size of tank. It sits right at the top of the tank for easy flow control adjustment.

I have an XP3 on a 55g tank and turned it down cause it was to powerful…I bought it though in case I go to a larger tank. The filter is super quite and has a @^#$*load of filter media space. The media is some of the cheapest around, DONT LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT (bigalsonline.com is where I get it). This filter is absolutely awesome, the best one for the price. They also have great customer service.

I am not sure if its cool to mention where a good place to get this stuff is…this is my first post so let me know if its not.

Sorry for being so lengthy but there are a lot of people out there who got jacked on the old version and others saying that everything but Eheim sucks.

matt1066
01-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Hi Elimjohnson,

And no it is not a problem recommending anyone, thing, place, or what ever on this site.

Thanks for the great info!

Regards,

Matthew

chaos2k
02-19-2004, 02:15 PM
i had a fluval 403 and switched to the Filstar XP3. its so wasy to prime comapred to the fluval and its quite. it runs my 100g tank no probs