PDA

View Full Version : New Discus, strange behavior

lwalling
12-25-2003, 12:56 PM
I recently lost my near ten year old blue malawi cichlid..

Following his loss, I decided to "replace" him with a friendlier breed of fish, Discus.

The tank PH is about 6.9/7.0, temp right around 76, and the Nitrate test shows a reading below "10". There is no ammonia in the tank. We are using a canister filter, and a undergravel filter setup. The tank is only 15 gallons.

The new discus are behaving strangely, hiding alot, and having very dark colors.. and I've noticed a touch of cloud eye on one of the larger ones. There also appears to be a very small amount of ick on one of them.

The smallest of the group is perfectly healthy.

Are there any treatments for the above referenced diseases that will address their minor ailments before they become serious that will NOT destroy the bacteria that are very established in the tank or the plants ?

lwalling
12-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Would anyone recommend a salt bath to resolve the cloud eye ?

Since I have plants, can I safely add a small quantity of non-iodized pond or table salt to the water to help curb the problem also ?

SGypsyMermaid
12-25-2003, 01:24 PM
i think that a large part of your problem is that the ph is too high and the temperature is too low for discus. these fish are very delicate and very demanding as far as water parameters go. i would strongly suggest that you do some reading on their requirements.

lwalling
12-25-2003, 01:27 PM
I will read some more, I actually matched the PH and temp to the tank they came from at the pet store, where they'd been for quite awhile.

They were previously bright and colorful, though I did notice a touch of ick on one of them when I purchased them. I didn't notice the cloud eye.

I am mostly inexperienced still despite years of messing with fish tanks.

I know discus are fragile though.

SGypsyMermaid
12-25-2003, 01:33 PM
one of the first things that you should do is raise the temp to about 85...once the disease is gone, keep it around 82. i've never kept discus, so i can't help you very much. normally i would suggest adding 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of tank water and treatment with aquarisol, but i am not so sure with discus. try doing a google search using the key words: discus disease treatment. you should come up with some info there. good luck.:wink:

lwalling
12-25-2003, 01:34 PM
What would be the recommended PH and temperature for discus, briefly looking I see most of the sites that breed them suggest ph of 6 to 7, and temperatures of around 80 degrees F. Some say what I already have is fine also.

I could slowly bring the temp up and the PH down..

SGypsyMermaid
12-25-2003, 01:37 PM
okay, then keep reading untill you get a good general picture and remember that nothing that you read is gospel.:)