PDA

View Full Version : are my convicts about to breed?

joel18
12-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Hi

I have just placed a pair of convicts into a 13.5 gallon tank which is filterd 5 times an hour, it has a flower pot on its side so its like a cave and a couple of rocks. The male is about4 inches and always hangs out in the cave (flower pot) and the female is about 3 inches. the male is very plain in colour with a couple of black stripes( which turn gold when excited) and the female has very dark vertical stripes with a very bright orange belly. The male is always cleaning out his flowerpot, and going and getting the female and bringing her back to the cave and waiting for her in the cave.

Are these fish about to breed??
and is there any way i can get them to breed ( ive only had them 3 days).

Any replies welcome:rolleyes:

wheelie
12-23-2003, 11:40 PM
knowing convicts, then yes. they breed like crazy and i wouldn't be surprised if you have eggs by the time you read this :razz:

willskateforcichlids
01-18-2004, 11:22 PM
By golly they are ready to breed unless the area isnt clean enough for her. I myself am trying to breed convicts. Well Good Luck and tell us what happens!!:)

paulyoaks
01-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Sure there ready to breed i say an about week or so

Chet
01-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Yep, it sound like they are about ready to breed. Convicts are a lot of fun. If they don't breed within a couple days, or you see the breeding behavior start to drop off, then you can do a 30% water change to stimulate them. Did you fully cycle the tank before you put the convicts in? If not, then the coming spike in ammonia and nitrite may cause problems for the fry, if it doesn't put a damper on their breeding behavior first.

You'll know when they have layed eggs, cause the female will almost never come out of hiding, and she will attack you if you get near her eggs or fry while cleaning the tank. It's really quite impressive.

Poet8102
01-22-2004, 12:29 PM
The funny thing about my Cons is the female shows very little interest in the fry while the male is the one protecting them from everybody else, including me.