PDA

View Full Version : HELP piranha or cichlid?

ander
12-21-2003, 12:25 AM
ok... this is the dilemma of the day ladies and gents! after reading this forum for many weeks i have begun to look closely at the DIY section and in doing so i found a quick and easy way to make a cave background. so heres my dilemma. i have a 55 gallon tank with two 8-9 in piranhas in it. they have both been in my hands since they were about an inch long and hold a fair amount of sentamental value. the only problem is that they do NOTHING! they are skittish and will only eat if im the only one in the room. the question is... do i sell them to the aquarium store i work at and get cichlids who can live in the new background? or do i forget about the background and kep the piranha because they are sentamental and cool for me. the only other option is to give them to my friend who already ahs 3 piranha and then spend my own money (which i dont have) to get the new fish but i will know the piranha hjave a good home. thanx a lot
_ander

ticman
12-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Ander,
That is a difficult choice. I go for giving them to the friend (maybe he/she might give you some money for them). They will have a good home and you can diy the cave background and get cichlids which it sounds to me is what you really want to do as they are more interactive, colorful, and fun.

Good luck

Mike

ander
12-21-2003, 02:28 PM
thanx yeah im leanin tword that, i just need to get some money and i might get a new tank all together.

bmxboy119
12-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Ander: Do not know were you live but in Cali. (maybe the U.S.) piranhas are illegal. Something bout them getting into the water system. Prbly the same stupid reason ferrets are illegal in Cali. Just warning you so you dont get in trouble.

ander
12-22-2003, 01:18 AM
i live in chicago and i dont think they are illigal. if they are... well so is going 6-over

jonah
12-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Piranha laws change from state to state. California has them on the ban list, while most northern states do not. They're illegal in Oklahoma, but legal in Kansas, the state directly above us. I'm pretty sure that they're legal to keep in Illinois.

I'd give the piranha to a friend and start over, but I don't have the cash problem, so it's hard to make that decision for you.

Glaive
11-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Isn't there a cichlid that would go with a pirahna<sp> in that setup?

Superman
11-26-2004, 08:49 PM
hell no. At least none that I know of. Pirahna's will destroy anything they see. They eat human flesh, lol, so I don't think they'll go with any fish.

kazkut
11-28-2004, 01:08 AM
that statement is somewhat untrue, it depends mostly on the type of pirahna. sometimes you can get away with larger cichlids, but anything smaller (like african cichlids) will get eaten, as they see it as a source of food.

and because he has 2 pirahnas and they have already established themselves in that tank, I don't think he can add anything in there.

I'd give them to your friend, unless you know the LFS will take care of them.

Glaive
11-29-2004, 12:57 PM
was just going to throw in, from my understanding when it comes to eating large mammals pirana only do so in larger groups.

jennigypsy
12-03-2004, 12:56 AM
...hmm...tomorrow's friday...fish fry?

LOLOLOL

Farrmanchu
12-11-2004, 10:49 PM
The Piranhas will only get bigger and more skittish in the 55, have they broken any heaters, or bitten any airlines and plants? Mine did. Trade them in at your LFS, and get Africans. I made the switch about two years ago, and I'm lovin' it.

rhoddm
12-19-2004, 04:07 AM
naw, just throw in a 6"+ dovii, that should stir **** up a little and make things lively in your tank for a while.

agez
12-21-2004, 12:27 AM
DONT put a dovii in!!!! you dont have the room and its cruelty to all the animals involved!!!! rhoddm i HOPE was just kidding?
dude, i would trade em in and get a store credit then restock with a firemouth meeki, convicts, and either a pair of geo's of your choice, or sopmething like a jack dempsey, good luck with it