PDA

View Full Version : Water Change and soft/hard water, advice plsssss

Erich
10-22-2002, 08:27 AM
1) My house has one of those soft water thingy installed, so all my tap water in house is soft. But I do have acess to regualr hard water outside my house Which one is better for aquarium water? more specifically for oscars...

2) Is there such thing as "too frequent" water change? My two adult oscars make lots of waste. I have a 90 gallon tank, is 10gallon water change every 2-3 days too frequent? This is on top of the 25% water change once a month.
Will it disturb the water chemistry? or upset the oscars??

Please give me some advice.
Thank you very much.

Rudy
10-22-2002, 08:33 AM
Usually your cold water main kitchen tap is usually bypassed as well from you water tank. You should check it out.

Your oscars will be fine either way, but the problem with soft water tanks is the water is so full of nutrients that you will have a tough time keeping the algae to a minimum. I mix hot and cold from my main tap to keep the soft water to a minimum. Not because it is hard on them, but because my red devil does not allow plecos in there and I hate scrubbing.

As far as water changes if you don't mind doing them, then don't worry about it. I would personally rather do larger water changes weekly but it is up to you.

:wink:

Erich
10-22-2002, 09:56 AM
thanks Rudy again for the advice.

My main concern about larger amount water change is it tends to drop the temperature more, and have a bigger change in water conditions.

I don't want to disturb my fish, but I want to keep the tank clean all the time as well.....so its really a matter of A) frequent water change but small amount -> more disturburce to fish phyically but less change in water condition OR B) only once a week, and larger amount -> but more change in water condition.

Also, is it ok to mix hot and cold water and put it in to the tank right after the water come out from the tap?
Thanks again....

Rudy
10-22-2002, 10:09 AM
Yes but just to be on the safe side I would add a water conditioner.

As far as you smaller water changes. I can see why they were smaller if you were adding just cold water.

Changes that drop the temp more than 5 ' can bring on ich, or stress.