PDA

View Full Version : I want to start feeding veggies...

Cichlid_Fan
12-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Hey all,

I want to start feeding veggies...romaine, peas...etc.

I think it was either tom or merlyn that blanched the lettuce. Can you fine people give me a run down on what you buy and how you prepare it.

Do you prepare a bunch at once or a little everyday?

What brands worked best for you, types of veggies, etc?

How did you feed the food to the fish? Rubberbanded to rock, float, veggie clip. What works best?

I've gone from a Malawi tank to a mix with T. duboisi "maswa"(3) and T. Polli(1). Damn those cute little buggers all to hell...:razz:

Thanks,
Matt

Jtsky
12-18-2003, 08:46 PM
I just started keeping these fish. The first time I fed rommaine and didn't blach it. The second time I did blach it and they ate more.

I just take one piece of lettuce rap it in a moist paper towel, and let it freeze. Then I thaw it out with water, rubberband it to a rock and put it where I want it.

I want to start using other veggies to but can't find them. Also, I wouldn't boil them to blanch them. Boiling takes away the nutriants.

ticman
12-18-2003, 08:53 PM
I use a veggie clip for cucumber slices that have been frozen and kept in a plastic bad in the freezer. I buy box of frozen peas and throw them in sometimes. Food is primarily for my Apple snails but the fish will nibble too. Fish love the romaine lettuce but the snails really don't touch it.

Mike

Cichlid_Fan
12-18-2003, 09:26 PM
OK well, I am lost on this blanching process.:confused:

Last time I blanched something, it was fries and I was 14.
I have a feeling I don't want to toss the lettuce head in the deep fryer.:drink:

SGypsyMermaid
12-18-2003, 09:29 PM
i think that you can blanch(sp) them by putting them in the microwave for a few seconds without losing any nutrients.

Cichlid_Fan
12-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Ya and I think that and I saw merlyn said something about freezing them too.

Thanks,
Matt

ticman
12-18-2003, 09:50 PM
blanching is the art of submersing the veggie into boiling water and quickly into ice cold water to stop the cooking process. too much like work. I would just wash and freeze.

Mike

tom
12-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Cichlid_Fan
Hey all,

I want to start feeding veggies...romaine, peas...etc.

I think it was either tom or merlyn that blanched the lettuce.

That wasn't me, Matt: One of the reasons I feed especially Tropheus darker greens is to add food that can't be digested. My rationale is such feedings add bulk and help speed foods through the intestine. I made brief mention of this in a post some time ago, and I've yet to read anything anywhere specifically about it. Not that it's a novel idea in fishkeeping (the fact that I couldn't find anything on the subject obviously doesn't mean there's not plenty of info on it) or, more importantly, necessarily healthy for the Tropheus in the long run. But I've been doing this with good results--certainly no ill effects--for several months now. In fact, it's one of the reasons I allow my Duboisi more animal protein in their diet than most Tropheus keepers recommend.

I'm not necessarily recommending this, at least not just yet--just thought I'd toss it near the flagpole.

Cichlid_Fan
12-18-2003, 10:07 PM
OK so it wasn't you, you're safe. Must have been merlyn then.....she's in trouble now by golly!!http://www.cichlidforums.com/postimages/2003-12-18/21474-001.gif

matt1066
12-25-2003, 04:30 PM
I feed a lot of zucchini, I blanche it, and then strip it of the seeds, which the fish wont eat. I then just attach a lettuce clip and it drops to the bottom.

I sometimes do it after lights out for my pleco-leaves nothing but the skin.

Regards,

Matthew

merlyn2221
12-27-2003, 08:52 PM
I blanche the romaine, and I'm proud of it!

Ok, now that that's done.

To blache anything, boil water in a pot large enough to accomodate your item. Once the water comes to a rolling boil, with tongs, hold the item in the boiling water for about 20-30 seconds.

Freezing works too. Wrap the leaves in waxed paper (so they don't stick) and defrost when ready to feed.

These two processes help to keep nutrients in, but minimize any digestive problems from too much roughage.

Rubber band to a small rock or weight down a chip clip (cheaper than the veggie clips) and the fish will go crazy.

Cichlid_Fan
12-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Thanks merlyn....