PDA

View Full Version : Very Quick Cycle?

JoeCole
12-17-2003, 07:31 PM
I just got a 70 gallon tnak and set it up about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It has 2 eclipse filtration systems. After adding sand rockwork and water, i waited 3 days and then added 3 fish. (1red zebra, 1 yellow lab, one socofoli) The amonia went up to like .5 after a week and around 2 weeks the nitrate spiked. I just checked the water today and it seems perfect to me...it has ph 8.2, 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrate. This was very puzzling so i tested multible times and got all the same each time. Does this mean im ready for my fish? did my cycle go faster than normal?
there is also a little bit of algae growing on the glass. What does this mean. Durning the wholoe process i only did a 20% water change at about 1 1/2 weeks. any advice would be appriciated!

Thanks
-Joe

cichgirl
12-18-2003, 08:48 AM
Did you use any rocks or sand or filters/media from an established tank?

chc
12-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Don't confuse nitrAte with nitrIte. Nitrite should spike after ammonia does, and it is dangerous to the fish. Nitrate follows nitrite and is the end product in most home systems (not dangerous at low levels; is removed by partial water changes).

VERY IMPORTANT you are sure of what you are testing.

Please double check and get back to us..........

Poet8102
12-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Another thing is, your tank may only be cycled for the bioload that you have at the moment. make sure that you do not add too many fish too fast as this will take your cycling a giant step backward.

JoeCole
12-18-2003, 05:32 PM
Sry it was the nitrite....
so what do u suggest? should i add a couple new fish and wait longer, or just simply wait longer?

thanks
-Joe

JoeCole
12-18-2003, 05:33 PM
cichgirl...everything i used was new

cichgirl
12-19-2003, 08:01 AM
Sounds, as poet8102 said, you are probably cycled for your current bioload. I'd follow poet's good advice and not add too many at once, ie: double at max is my personal rule of thumb.