PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Fish Feeder or auto feeder?

affeking
12-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Hi All -

I have a 30 gallon tank of various mbuna and I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks. I can probably get someone to stop by once or twice to check on things, but definately not more often than that. I searched the forum and saw a tiny bit of chat on auto feeders, but nothing definative. I have an old one laying around, but it appears to output enough for maybe 1 guppy.

I saw someone mentioned Pyramid Fish Feeders were good. Looks like they feed a 10 gallon community tank for 7 - 10 days. I would assume I'd have to put 3 in there, but I'd also be afriad that would cause major clouding over in the tank. Anyone tried this?

I also saw someone suggested a nutrafin feeder, but I cannot find anything about the capacity of any of these. I also am limited because I'm leaving Friday so cannot really wait for something to come in the mail - it'll have to be from a local shop.

Thanks,
Jeff

Cichlid_Fan
12-14-2003, 08:37 PM
I have the NutramaticX2 which feeds twice daily and you can adjust the output. Feeds for up to 2wks I think or maybe a month...I didn't keep the box. It's cheap and you can find it at most LFS or pet supply stores.

Matt

affeking
12-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks Matt. Question - you said you can adjust the output, but how much food approximately does the max setting output? How big is the tank you are using it for? The reason I ask is that the little feeder I have, even on the highest setting, outputs roughly 1/10th of what I'd need for my tank!

I'm gonna check out the pet stores by me tommorow and I'll keep this one in mind.

Thanks,
Jeff

Cichlid_Fan
12-15-2003, 05:50 PM
I used it in my 75 and it feeds WAY more than you need at half the setting. It is a drum and turns every 12 hrs. At each turn it catches the amount and then empties it into the tank. I just took the drum off and turned the drum mysef with food in it until I got a good setting.

What fish do you have and what are you feeding them? This feeders is mainly for flake, but I used it with Nutrafin cichlid pellets when I was using them.

http://aquariumpros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HAGA780

Matt

chc
12-16-2003, 01:51 PM
I concur that you could make that feeder work. I have some set up on fry tanks right now.

affeking
12-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Matt, to answer your question I have an assortment of misc mbunas. Nothing necessarily 'purebred', just out of junk tanks at pet stores. At one point I had an idea of what species they were, but I couldn't recite them all now. I have a few lemon yellows and couple of johanis. The rest I'm not sure of offhand. I feed them wardley cichlid flakes. I actually need to come up with a better solution for buying food. Lately I've just been grabbing cans at Petsmart which cost me a ridiculous amount. I know way back when I used to buy big bags of flakes. In any case, what I'm going to be putting in the feeder is a flake food.

I picked up the feeder you mentinoed today and am anxious to try it out when I get home from work.

Thanks!
Jeff

Cichlid_Fan
12-16-2003, 06:09 PM
For mbunas I recommend you add in some spirulina flakes to that mix.

Matt