PDA

View Full Version : fish gasping at top

puddles
12-12-2003, 08:48 PM
well, i've got a failry new 90G aquarium.......with an eheim 2217, and already the filter doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to.
i've got a mix of africans in the tank.
are my fish gasping to the top due to the water quality?
how much water should i be changing weekly?
my eheim used to really jet water into the tank....is it possible the pressure of outflow has diminished a bit?
all answers greatly appeciated

SGypsyMermaid
12-12-2003, 08:56 PM
sounds like your fish are not getting enough air. if the tank is heavily stocked, you should add another filter(my vote is for an aquaclear 500). my 90 gal. mbuna tank has a fluval 404 and a whisper 5 on it. until you can get another filter, at least add an airstone and do a partial water change. look here: http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5

also, if your flow rate has lessened, you need to do maintenance on your eheim, but be careful to preserve as much beneficial bacteria as possible by rinsing the media in used tank water and not allowing the media to dry out.

puddles
12-12-2003, 09:48 PM
thanks for the tip.
i've been thinking of getting a powerhead on one end of my tank shooting accross towards my eheim....would that solve my air problem?

SGypsyMermaid
12-12-2003, 10:01 PM
the powerhead would solve your air problem, but a filter will give you more water movement and additional filtration...always a good thing in a cichlid tank.:wink:

chc
12-13-2003, 09:28 AM
Have you checked the water quality? It sounds like the fish may be in distress due to ammonia intoxication.

ludwig
12-13-2003, 01:45 PM
could be all of the above,but also if the water is to warm there is less oxygen molecules in it,i don,t know about africans and temperature,central americans have always done fine with 72 for me

Watcher
02-08-2004, 10:05 PM
high amonia?
it attacks the gills so to say

usafschue
02-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Add oxygen/water circulation through a PH or filter, but if that doesnt work watch out for fresh water velvet